Problem with CHKDSK running at boot

I had a catastrophic battery failure on my notebook, ie the battery went
from 98% to 3% instantly and forced a 'dirty shutdown' of Windows XP
Home SP1. The drive is formatted NTFS and partitioned C/D/E.

Since then, on every boot, I get a message that the D drive needs to be
checked for consistency. I allow this to proceed and the system reports
"Windows has checked the file system and found no errors". However, on
the next boot, it will repeat the process with the same message.

I have forced a full CHKDSK from Properties>Tools>Error checking, with
both "automatically fix file system errors" and "scan for and attempt
recovery of bad sectors" checked. The system carries out this check,
says there are no problems, then reports the above error message, runs
a second check, again says there are no errors, but runs again at the
next boot.

The System log shows two errors, 4 seconds apart during the boot, NTFS,
Id. 55, "The file system on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run
CHKDSK." Disk Management reports the disk as healthy, and everything
works.

I assume, therefore, that there is a 'flag' stuck - I seem to recall
that NTFS has a 'dirty volume' flag or something like that. Is there a
way to clear this?

Thanks.

--
Rik Bean

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 15:50:20 +0000, Rik Bean
<Rik.Bean.1mz5pn@pcbanter.net> wrote:
>Since then, on every boot, I get a message that the D drive needs to be
>checked for consistency. I allow this to proceed and the system reports
>"Windows has checked the file system and found no errors". However, on
>the next boot, it will repeat the process with the same message.

Go here (a good site to bookmark) and search for an article
http://search.microsoft.com/search/search.aspx?st=b&View=en-us

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

the reason why it happened is cause your partition might have had a
minor error; first of all chkdsk must always be run before such
operations, and that too exclusively. You should have restart
immediately after setting the chkdsk at boottime. Never queue up
partitioning tasks with chkdsk (at bootup).

And also, run chkdsk with the parameters /F /V /R /X to make sure that
the partition is 100% proper.

--
Mrinal_sher
Mrinal_sher's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=1524