LCD Monitor Prices & 17"

pbaze2222

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2003
Prices: I've noticed in my research that's they've gone up a little for most LCDs in the last 4-5 months (maybe just since christmas?). Are they going to go down soon - I read somewhere that 12ms LCDs will be coming out in FEB/MAR? Is it worth it to wait? (although my current monitor is almost dead =P)

17" LCDs: I've narrowed my search down to a few monitors...

NEC LCD1760v : http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-002-078&catalog=20&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1
This has the most reviews at newegg in my price range and seems like the best buy. Also, the response time is 16ms.

Samsung 170N : http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-001-107&catalog=20&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1

BenQ FP731 : http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-014-040&catalog=20&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1
This one is much cheaper and I cant find any reason to weed it out.

I'm willing to pay the extra ~50$ if it's worth the quality... I don't like the Viewsonic monitors - I personally think the thick outter borders on most in my price range is ugly (yea, a style preference is making me biased but I figure if I'm going to spend this much I can think that way)

Any suggestions?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by pbaze2222 on 01/23/04 10:24 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

jhnlngn

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003
I'm waiting for the 12ms models. I'm also like you as far as style goes, I want a nice thin sliver bezel. If I going to be staring at it for a few hours/day it better look good.

Starhawk

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If the NEC has DVI, it is worth the extra price you'd pay over the other two. Especially since both those monitors I believe have a 25ms response time instead of the NEC's 16ms response time.

Another one I'd recommend is the NEC VP171-B. It has a fairly similar look to the other NEC, with both analog and DVI inputs, but it has another feature to set itself apart. Its screen can pivot as well giving you a much bigger screen when working with documents. Newegg sporadically carries that monitor, but usually runs out fairly quickly. It does cost around 500 though.

Its a fairly highly rated monitor as well by most reviews I've heard from users and reviewers.

pbaze2222

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2003
Hmmm, I'm not quite willing to pay 500$ for a 17" monitor... The NEC one I posted is 409$ - it's got a 40$ instant rebate on it. It does "not" have dvi input. :(

When are the 12ms LCDs supposed to come out?

pbaze2222

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2003
"As we can see from our benchmark, streaking on the analog connection proved very problematic. Just by reading white text on a black background, we saw waves inside the text similar to fine Moiré. If you plan on buying this monitor, we highly encourage the use of a DVI connection. We have stressed with several other reviews that analog just does not cut it for LCD's, and it is really a shame that 15-pin analog connections persist even today. If you have not seen our other complaints about the Digital to Analog back to Digital process before, please refer to the Daewoo L700C review we did several months ago."

HolyShiznit

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
The NEC and Samsung both have the awesome narrow bezel. In black, those monitors look incredible.

<font color=blue>
--------------------------------------------------
Guns kill people just like spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
<font color=blue>