I am aware of the use of %username% to point to a specific area for the
current user. Are there any other % % commands in win xp? if so what do they
do?

"cerm1t t fr0g" <cerm1t t fr0g@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am aware of the use of %username% to point to a specific area for the
> current user. Are there any other % % commands in win xp? if so what do
> they
> do?

Here are a couple

%SYSTEMROOT%
%HOMEPATH%
%ALLUSERSPROFILE%
%HOMEDRIVE%
%TEMP%
%WINDIR%
%USERPROFLE%
%PROGRAMFILES%
%SYSTEMDRIVE%

--
William

In addition to what others have posted.

%username% is an environment variable. It is the name of the currently
logged on user.

To display your current environment variables open a Command Prompt...

Start | Run | Type: cmd | Click OK |
When the command prompt window pops up type:

set

Hit your Enter key.
-----

Paste these in the Start | Run box one at a time and see what you get.

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%

%APPDATA%

%CommonProgramFiles%

%ComSpec%

%HOMEDRIVE%

%HOMEPATH%

%LOGONSERVER%

%ProgramFiles%

%SystemRoot%

%TEMP%

%TMP%

%USERPROFILE%el

%windir%
-----

HOW TO Manage Environment Variables in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310519

Setting environment variables
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/environment_variables.mspx

User Environment Variables
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/policy/policy/user_environment_variables.asp

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:9300250F-9ADC-4496-A59B-A60E91166391@microsoft.com,
cerm1t t fr0g <cerm1t t fr0g@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
pecked:
> I am aware of the use of %username% to point to a specific area for
> the current user. Are there any other % % commands in win xp? if so
> what do they do?

The following contains a good list
http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/environment.htm

--
Regards

Greg Palmer
MS-MVP Windows (Shell/User)

"" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support:
>I am aware of the use of %username% to point to a specific area for the
>current user. Are there any other % % commands in win xp? if so what do they
>do?

Get into Windows Help (Windows+F1), then find the long topic
"Command Shell Overview". (Add it to your Favorites because you'll
be going back.) The envronment variables (predefined things between
% signs) are listed near the end.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/