File Search not working

April 4, 2005 5:28:49 PM

Hello;
When I do a, Start>My Computer>Search and then choose to search for 'All
files and folders" I get the following error;

"Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close etc, etc.
When I select "Dont Send" the system places me back at the desktop. What is
causing this error and how can I fix it? The rest of the system appears to
work OK. Thanks for the help.

More about : file search working

Anonymous
April 4, 2005 5:50:40 PM

"melvin cotterill" <melvinj@surewest.net> wrote in message
> Hello;
> When I do a, Start>My Computer>Search and then choose to search for 'All
> files and folders" I get the following error;
>
> "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close etc, etc.
> When I select "Dont Send" the system places me back at the desktop. What
> is causing this error and how can I fix it? The rest of the system appears
> to work OK. Thanks for the help.

Try reinstalling Search Assistant, go Start>Run and type

%SYSTEMROOT%\Inf

locate and right-click srchasst.inf and select Install.

--
William
Anonymous

Thanks for responding. I located the file per your instructions, however,
when I right click/install I am asked for a file named msgr3en.dll located
on Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD, and to type the path where the
file is located. I have the CD from Microsoft. (Also SP2 is installed on my
system. ). What do I type/do now? Thanks.

Melvin

"WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "melvin cotterill" <melvinj@surewest.net> wrote in message
>> Hello;
>> When I do a, Start>My Computer>Search and then choose to search for 'All
>> files and folders" I get the following error;
>>
>> "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close etc, etc.
>> When I select "Dont Send" the system places me back at the desktop. What
>> is causing this error and how can I fix it? The rest of the system
>> appears to work OK. Thanks for the help.
>>

> Try reinstalling Search Assistant, go Start>Run and type
>
> %SYSTEMROOT%\Inf
>
> locate and right-click srchasst.inf and select Install.
>
> --
> William

April 4, 2005 8:00:17 PM

"melvin cotterill" <melvinj@surewest.net> wrote in message
news:o rJQ4gWOFHA.3296@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Thanks for responding. I located the file per your instructions, however,
> when I right click/install I am asked for a file named msgr3en.dll located
> on Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD, and to type the path where
> the file is located. I have the CD from Microsoft. (Also SP2 is installed
> on my system. ). What do I type/do now? Thanks.
>
> Melvin
>

> "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "melvin cotterill" <melvinj@surewest.net> wrote in message
>>> Hello;
>>> When I do a, Start>My Computer>Search and then choose to search for 'All
>>> files and folders" I get the following error;
>>>
>>> "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close etc, etc.
>>> When I select "Dont Send" the system places me back at the desktop. What
>>> is causing this error and how can I fix it? The rest of the system
>>> appears to work OK. Thanks for the help.
>>>

>> Try reinstalling Search Assistant, go Start>Run and type
>>
>> %SYSTEMROOT%\Inf
>>
>> locate and right-click srchasst.inf and select Install.
>>
>> --
>> William

Did you install SP2 via an update, if so, the file is located at
c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386.

--
William
Anonymous

click ok for once

--
Ryan-EBK

> "melvin cotterill" <melvinj@surewest.net> wrote in message
> news:o rJQ4gWOFHA.3296@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> Thanks for responding. I located the file per your instructions, however,
>> when I right click/install I am asked for a file named msgr3en.dll
>> located on Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD, and to type the
>> path where the file is located. I have the CD from Microsoft. (Also SP2
>> is installed on my system. ). What do I type/do now? Thanks.
>>
>> Melvin
>>

>> "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> "melvin cotterill" <melvinj@surewest.net> wrote in message

>>> Try reinstalling Search Assistant, go Start>Run and type
>>>
>>> %SYSTEMROOT%\Inf
>>>
>>> locate and right-click srchasst.inf and select Install.
>>>
>>> --
>>> William
>>>

> Did you install SP2 via an update, if so, the file is located at
> c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386.
>
> --
> William

Anonymous
April 4, 2005 9:29:36 PM

Hello again;
Yes I installed SP2 via an update and I found the file 'msgr3en.dll ' where
you indicated. I loaded it, and was then asked for the file 'nls302.lex'
which I could not find. Maybe I should try installing SP2 again since I have
it on a separate disk provided by Microsoft. What do you think? Thanks.
Melvin
"WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "melvin cotterill" <melvinj@surewest.net> wrote in message
> news:o rJQ4gWOFHA.3296@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> Thanks for responding. I located the file per your instructions, however,
>> when I right click/install I am asked for a file named msgr3en.dll
>> located on Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD, and to type the
>> path where the file is located. I have the CD from Microsoft. (Also SP2
>> is installed on my system. ). What do I type/do now? Thanks.
>>
>> Melvin
>>

>> "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> "melvin cotterill" <melvinj@surewest.net> wrote in message

>>> Try reinstalling Search Assistant, go Start>Run and type
>>>
>>> %SYSTEMROOT%\Inf
>>>
>>> locate and right-click srchasst.inf and select Install.
>>>
>>> --
>>> William
>>>

> Did you install SP2 via an update, if so, the file is located at
> c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386.
>
> --
> William

Anonymous
April 4, 2005 9:45:29 PM

> Hello again;
> Yes I installed SP2 via an update and I found the file 'msgr3en.dll '
> where you indicated. I loaded it, and was then asked for the file
> 'nls302.lex' which I could not find. Maybe I should try installing SP2
> again since I have it on a separate disk provided by Microsoft. What do
> you think? Thanks.
> Melvin
> "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "melvin cotterill" <melvinj@surewest.net> wrote in message
>> news:o rJQ4gWOFHA.3296@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>> Thanks for responding. I located the file per your instructions,
>>> however, when I right click/install I am asked for a file named
>>> msgr3en.dll located on Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD, and to
>>> type the path where the file is located. I have the CD from Microsoft.
>>> (Also SP2 is installed on my system. ). What do I type/do now? Thanks.
>>>
>>> Melvin
>>>

>>> "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> Did you install SP2 via an update, if so, the file is located at
>> c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386.
>>
>> --
>> William

Use your XP setup CD when it asks for those files, if it complains about the
CD is older than the windows version you are using, then you may have to
create a Slipstream CD for XP with SP2.
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-boot...

--
William
Anonymous

Thanks for the help William. I followed your advice and it appears as if I
will have to use the slipstream procedure with XP Pro and SP2. It does not
look too hairy. Adios my friend.

!