new xp 2 freezes momentarily

My xp service pack 2 freezes momentarily for several seconds and then comes
out of it. According to the event viewer it shows a problem being with atapi
with message as follows: device\Device\Ide\ideport1 did not respond within
the timeout period. Thanks for any help in understanding this.......Toni

Hi Toni,

I've had that problem for a loooooong time. Eventually I found out
why.

It CAN be the harddisk on that port, which is failing, it can happen
if your haddisk get too hot, then you experience this kind of errors.
I found this out after awhile, I installed better cooling, and all but
one of the errors went away.

But even with better cooling one of the ports still failed, it turned
out to be the brand new sata cable, once that was replaced I have not
had the error since.

So try to touch the harddisk if it's very hot, that could be the
fault, Otherwise try to change the cable!!!

Regards Leif.

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 14:39:07 -0700, "twinn"
<twinn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>My xp service pack 2 freezes momentarily for several seconds and then comes
>out of it. According to the event viewer it shows a problem being with atapi
>with message as follows: device\Device\Ide\ideport1 did not respond within
>the timeout period. Thanks for any help in understanding this.......Toni

Thanks, Leif. Just bought this computer 2 weeks ago and it started with the
mouse freezing up for a few seconds so thought it was just the mouse.
Changed it but still the same thing, so figured out it was the whole system
freezing momentarily. Have narrowed it down to the DVD drive, so thought
maybe driver but wanted to run it past a few on the MS discussion forum
before I tried anything. I have checked the drive itself for loose cable and
overheating but appears fine. Just this morning it froze again and the event
viewer says it disappeared from the system without being prepared for
removal. Once I boot back up it reinstalls. Thanks for your thoughts.

"Leif Nordmand Andersen" wrote:

> Hi Toni,
>
> I've had that problem for a loooooong time. Eventually I found out
> why.
>
> It CAN be the harddisk on that port, which is failing, it can happen
> if your haddisk get too hot, then you experience this kind of errors.
> I found this out after awhile, I installed better cooling, and all but
> one of the errors went away.
>
> But even with better cooling one of the ports still failed, it turned
> out to be the brand new sata cable, once that was replaced I have not
> had the error since.
>
> So try to touch the harddisk if it's very hot, that could be the
> fault, Otherwise try to change the cable!!!
>
> Regards Leif.
>

> On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 14:39:07 -0700, "twinn"
> <twinn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >My xp service pack 2 freezes momentarily for several seconds and then comes
> >out of it. According to the event viewer it shows a problem being with atapi
> >with message as follows: device\Device\Ide\ideport1 did not respond within
> >the timeout period. Thanks for any help in understanding this.......Toni

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 06:39:03 -0700, "twinn"
<twinn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks, Leif. Have narrowed it down to the DVD drive, so thought
>maybe driver but wanted to run it past a few on the MS discussion forum
>before I tried anything. I have checked the drive itself for loose cable and
>overheating but appears fine. Just this morning it froze again and the event
>viewer says it disappeared from the system without being prepared for
>removal. Once I boot back up it reinstalls. Thanks for your thoughts.

If you have any posibillity - PLEASE try another cable!! I've replaced
cables that looked fine and was fixed fine on the hardisk/dvd drive
and motherboard. Changing the cable solved the problem.

If you don't have a new cable, you could try to use the cable for
IDE-0 for IDE-1 and the cable for IDE-1 for IDE-0, if the error
follows the cable, then you know it's the cable.

I'm now running a system without any of these errors, which was a
daily occurence for almost a year.

Regards Leif.

TRENDING THREADS