WinXP hangs up for no reason, please help

sgs

Distinguished
May 31, 2004

Hi,

I have WinXP Proff with Service pack 2 installed on my laptop
(Thinkpad A31 ). The computer hangs up (display and keyboard) after
some time (varies from 5mins to 45mins) and I cannot do anything but
restart the computer.
The only way to prevent this problem is if I plug in a USB mouse!

Things I have tried so far are: reduced hardware acceleration,
switched off and on system restore, uninstalled and reinstalled
network cards (the computer has a regular and a wireless card in it).
I have updated all the drivers as far as I can tell. In the safe mode
I DO NOT see this problem.

This problem only started a few weeks ago and I’m at my wits end and
would appreciate any suggestions.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-WinXP-hangs-reason-ftopict353770.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1118675

I would check for loose ram chips, or cables. Laptops get banged around.

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509

"Mark L. Ferguson1" wrote:
> I would check for loose ram chips, or cables. Laptops get
> banged around.
>
> --
>
> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
> marfers notes for windows xp
> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
> ..
> "sgs" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have WinXP Proff with Service pack 2 installed on my
> laptop
> > (Thinkpad A31 ). The computer hangs up (display and
> keyboard) after
> > some time (varies from 5mins to 45mins) and I cannot do
> anything but
> > restart the computer.
> > The only way to prevent this problem is if I plug in a USB
> mouse!
> >
> > Things I have tried so far are: reduced hardware
> acceleration,
> > switched off and on system restore, uninstalled and
> reinstalled
> > network cards (the computer has a regular and a wireless
> card in it).
> > I have updated all the drivers as far as I can tell. In the
> safe mode
> > I DO NOT see this problem.
> >
> > This problem only started a few weeks ago and I'm at my wits
> end and
> > would appreciate any suggestions.
> >
> > --
> > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
> standards
> > Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-WinXP-hangs-reason-ftopict353770.html
> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1118675

Hi,

before I pry open the laptop a quick question, the computer is working
perfectly when I have a USB mouse plugged in . Is this consistant with
loose chips and cables ?