Recommendations for Wireless Network

Oilybohunk

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2001
I seem to be very good at buying yesterday's latest technology. I research a product, read relatively new reviews, consolidate the information, and then purchase what appears to be the best technology available. Usually, within a week, I find out that a new, better solution has just been released. I would like to prevent this trend in my purchase of a wireless home network.

My network consists of five PCs (two of them laptops). I own a fairly large home (5300 square feet), and my main computer (and cable modem) is located in one corner of my basement. The laptops are generally used on the first floor, and the other two PCs are located at the far end of the house on the second floor. There are approximately ninety feet and two levels separating the wireless access point from the furthest computer.

Do you have any recommendations on a reliable, secure, and fast wireless router/firewall? Will I be able to maintain reliability and speed over this distance and through walls/floors? Is current technology my best bet, or should I wait a few months for the release and test results of Bluetooth solutions? Am I forgetting to ask anything?

Thank you very much for your input,

JCC

<font color=purple> I doubt, therefore I might be </font color=purple>