64bit Windows 7 Ram problem ??

xNPKx

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
Hi so i just installed 64bit version of windows 7 and i have 4 gigs of ram it shows up as 4 but it says 3.25GB is usable so does that mean its not using the whole 4 gigs ?

psyguy

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
I think its not using the whole memory. The solution is that you have to enable the memory remapping feature in your BIOS.
I have had the same Problem. When its not enabled the bios shows only 3.25GB of RAM. When I enable the feature it shows the whole memory and windows can use it too.

psyguy

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
the name for the memory remapping feature differs from vendor to vendor. I think memory extension is a similar description for memory remapping, if this was your question!? try to enable it

the relevant name for the feature is written in the manual, if the board supports it. but, some old boards dont support this feature, so you have to investigate by the manufacturer of the board. in this case there might be a chance to flash the bios for enabling the feature. otherwise you have to buy a new board.

Does your graphic card share memory?, I had the same issue with the RC and an 8400GS but the RTM and a 9500GT do not have the problem. And I do not have a memory remapping ability with my motherboard.

xNPKx

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
i'm pretty sure its a 64 bit version because before i was using 32 bit vista so i switched over to the 64 windows 7 beta so i can use the rest of the ram i don't think its using shared memory for the grapics card cuz im using ATi 4770 so i guess this means im stuck with only 3.25 gigs and not worth upgrading my ram in the future to 8 gigs??
oh yeah im my motherboard is a X48-DS4 GIGABYTE and i have a q6600 if that helps??

xNPKx

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009

hey i just reinstalled Windows 7 again and its working fine now and it shows up as 4 gigs i guess i just needed a fresh install because originally i kept my old vista 32bit programs maybe that had something to do with it but yeah thanks for all the help guys

billybabin

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
This is a problem i experienced then i went to the start menu and typed in (msconfig) without the () and hit enter and it brought me to another window that said microsoft configuration tool i went to boot options and hit advanced options then i unchecked maximum memory limit then hit ok and ok again then i rebooted and checked it and it said 4.00 GB installed! That fixed my problem. Oh and if you go to the maximum processor limit ant scroll to 2 then you will notice a much better startup time because it uses 2 logical cores allowing it to not have to sqeeze those processes into one core!

Hope this helps
Billy Babin

Any questions just email me at:
billybabin@gmail.com