Problem with registry

TedPunner

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
Hello,

I tried messing the registry to try on and fix an Office 2007 related issue. I searched the web and I found a small program that could fix it. This link follows to the said program:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b&displaylang=en
(I know Windows 7 isn't listed in the supported OS list, but I didn't had time to check)

I ran the program from the command line using a .bat file created from the website that provided the link, and (surprise!) it did not solve the Office 2007 issue. Then the computer started behaving weird. I tried openning audio players, but they did not work, as all sound devices were not working correctly. So I force-restart (out of anger), and that didn't works. Windows apparently lost most of the abillity to read the registry, and now devices, Explorer and even the services can't read settings off from the registry.

Whenever I try open any folder, I'm struct by a 'Not enough free memory', which is not true. I can't access the internet, because it cannot access the service, and even the sound is gone! All I receive is an error message followed by a 0x8007000e error code! I know this issue is registry-oriented, so I need to restore the last backup. I also know that there's a registry backup inside 'c:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack', but I can't swap the registry files because they are all in use!

tl;dr: How do I restore the last avaible registry backup from 'c:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack' without be blocked by the OS?

note: Repairing Windows install is not an option, because even Windows Setup isn't working correcly.

Thanks for your time.

TedPunner

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010

Can't burn a linux distro, and all pen drive distros I looked at have crappy NTFS support, so I'm quite limited on what I can do.

Can you give me a tip on a distro that can be booted from USB?