Tech: G05-801 HV repair needed

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

My Lunar Lander finally went out. If the game comes on, it will "bloom" out
in a matter of seconds. I re-flowed all of the solder connections but that
apparently wasn't the problem and only bought me a couple of weeks. If I
tap on the cage, the screen comes back for a few seconds but will go right
back out.

I looked up a lot of information on this and I just don't want to mess with
it (meaning...it's over my head). Does anyone here fix these or have a
working one for sale? Thanks.

Tony Etzler

:
: I looked up a lot of information on this and I just don't want to mess with
: it (meaning...it's over my head). Does anyone here fix these or have a
: working one for sale? Thanks.

The G01 HV is pretty nasty, and I don't think there's a source for the
voltage doubler which is th most likely culprit. If you're got a 25V
setup on your 801, (as oopsed to 35V), you can use an 802 HV instead.

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

Hi, as Mark says it's likely to be the voltage doubler that's causing
the problem. I had a similar problem in my Asteroids which I managed
to repair (well it's kept going for at least for the last couple of
years). The HT lead comes out of this voltage doubler, and on mine
there was a gap between the HT wire and the plasticy (is that a word)
body of the voltage doubler. Current was escaping thru this gap and
was arcing whereever it met ground (on the HV box chassis). This
manifests itself with a visible blue light, and a cracking noise (as
well as the blooming you describled). I managed to repair this gap by
using a strong plastic glue compound to seal the gap on the voltage
doubler.

I do plan to convert my Asteroids to an 802 at some point - they just
seem easier to fix to me...

Good luck!

DanP