Asus U56E Hard Drive Buzzes When I Move Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosaki

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
So I bought an Asus U56E laptop last week, but I noticed that the hard drive makes a buzzing noise when I move/turn the laptop. It didn't affect performance (that I could tell), but I was worried that it would cause problems later, so I exchanged it for a new one. But the new one does it too...

I'm wondering if this is normal, or if I should just return it. Does anyone know what causes it? I thought it might be a fan, but after taking the bottom panel off, it definitely sounds like the hard drive.

Here is a video I took of the noise. You'll probably have to turn up the volume. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv0I9d8dnI8

xXmjzXx

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2012
well since you replaced it and it has the sound still on both i think you should just not worry about it but if it get louder over time id send it back and get a different one or take it to a place that will look at it and see if they can fix it but it rly should not madder only if the hard drive is moving around in the case id do somthing.

dpawson905

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

I have the same laptop ... I think its the DVD drive mine does the same thing when I have a disc in that's spinning which is quite regular with this laptop for some reason. The drive itself rarely idles (possible firmware issue) The reason why it makes that noise is due to the way the chassis was made for the laptop itself ... The drive isn't all that secure from floating up and down when the laptop is moved and seeings how there isn't much tolerance between the dvd and the tray itself that's what is making the noise... Well with mine anyways.

fbara

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012

I have the same problem with my U56E (bought from Best Buy in Dec 2011). It's become so bad that I can't rip CD's anymore, the drive just fails to read the CD after a few minutes.

I contacted Asus support (what a joke) and they told me I need to send the entire laptop to them for repairs. An I need to backup my hard drive because they'll probably wipe it during one of their troubleshooting tests. I just wanted to remove the HD before I sent it to them, but they said no.

Status
Not open for further replies.