Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Deleting temporary internet files

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 8:48:28 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

From within IE, I have deleted temporary internet files. They are gone
under

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings,

but are all still there under

C:\Documents and Settings\OwnerName\Local Settings.

Why is this so? I am administrator and also the only user. Is it ok to
directly delete in Windows Explorer?

Dick Ballard
ballardr@att.net
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 3:49:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi Dick Ballard,

When you clear the TIF from Internet Explorer Options, it's a per-user
setting. To clear the TIF of other user profiles, you need to logon to that
profile, and repeat the process.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org


"Dick Ballard" <ballardr@att.net> wrote in message
news:4r545157lfa2kh17rdme1ujs5t1r56c2fg@4ax.com...
> From within IE, I have deleted temporary internet files. They are gone
> under
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings,
>
> but are all still there under
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\OwnerName\Local Settings.
>
> Why is this so? I am administrator and also the only user. Is it ok to
> directly delete in Windows Explorer?
>
> Dick Ballard
> ballardr@att.net
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 3:49:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

But, as I said: " I am the administrator and also the only user." I do
not access Windows via log on. I am the only user who is also the
administrator. Windows does not ask for logon when it boots up.

Why are there two separate locations for myself, "OwnerName" and
"Administrator" for Temporary Internet Files?

Dick Ballard
ballardr@att.net


On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 11:49:57 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
<ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:

>Hi Dick Ballard,
>
>When you clear the TIF from Internet Explorer Options, it's a per-user
>setting. To clear the TIF of other user profiles, you need to logon to that
>profile, and repeat the process.
Related resources
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 4:07:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Dick Ballard wrote in:

> From within IE, I have deleted temporary internet files. They are
> gone under
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings,
>
> but are all still there under
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\OwnerName\Local Settings.
>
> Why is this so? I am administrator and also the only user. Is it
> ok to directly delete in Windows Explorer?

I think others have answered your other questions but as for the last
one, yes, it's ok to directly delete in Windows Explorer.


--
David R. Norton MVP
<d_r_norton@yahoo.com>
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 4:58:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Administrator account is teh default (built-in) account, and the "OwnerName"
seems to be the additional account that you may have created. Have you
checked the User Accounts applet in the Control Panel, for the list of
accounts?

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org


"Dick Ballard" <ballardr@att.net> wrote in message
news:j7e4511j122pb28tc0a34e8lpha4tisujv@4ax.com...
> But, as I said: " I am the administrator and also the only user." I do
> not access Windows via log on. I am the only user who is also the
> administrator. Windows does not ask for logon when it boots up.
>
> Why are there two separate locations for myself, "OwnerName" and
> "Administrator" for Temporary Internet Files?
>
> Dick Ballard
> ballardr@att.net
>
>
> On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 11:49:57 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
> <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:
>
>>Hi Dick Ballard,
>>
>>When you clear the TIF from Internet Explorer Options, it's a per-user
>>setting. To clear the TIF of other user profiles, you need to logon to
>>that
>>profile, and repeat the process.
>
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 5:00:51 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Yes, the User Accounts screen shows only my account (as administrator)
and the guest account which is turned off.

Dick Ballard
ballardr@att.net


On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 12:58:45 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
<ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:

>Administrator account is teh default (built-in) account, and the "OwnerName"
>seems to be the additional account that you may have created. Have you
>checked the User Accounts applet in the Control Panel, for the list of
>accounts?
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 3:39:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

IIRC, hidden accounts (using SpecialAccounts registry key) don;t display in
the User accounts applet. Try using the Net Users command from Command
Prompt.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org


"Dick Ballard" <ballardr@att.net> wrote in message
news:63d651lobg838e9hsuhtdptohn33jff8rf@4ax.com...
> Yes, the User Accounts screen shows only my account (as administrator)
> and the guest account which is turned off.
>
> Dick Ballard
> ballardr@att.net
>
>
> On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 12:58:45 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
> <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:
>
>>Administrator account is teh default (built-in) account, and the
>>"OwnerName"
>>seems to be the additional account that you may have created. Have you
>>checked the User Accounts applet in the Control Panel, for the list of
>>accounts?
>
!