Deleting temporary internet files

From within IE, I have deleted temporary internet files. They are gone
under

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings,

but are all still there under

C:\Documents and Settings\OwnerName\Local Settings.

Why is this so? I am administrator and also the only user. Is it ok to
directly delete in Windows Explorer?

Dick Ballard
ballardr@att.net
6 answers Last reply
More about deleting temporary internet files

    Hi Dick Ballard,

    When you clear the TIF from Internet Explorer Options, it's a per-user
    setting. To clear the TIF of other user profiles, you need to logon to that
    profile, and repeat the process.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Dick Ballard" <ballardr@att.net> wrote in message
    > From within IE, I have deleted temporary internet files. They are gone
    > under
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings,
    >
    > but are all still there under
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\OwnerName\Local Settings.
    >
    > Why is this so? I am administrator and also the only user. Is it ok to
    > directly delete in Windows Explorer?
    >
    > Dick Ballard
    > ballardr@att.net

    But, as I said: " I am the administrator and also the only user." I do
    not access Windows via log on. I am the only user who is also the
    administrator. Windows does not ask for logon when it boots up.

    Why are there two separate locations for myself, "OwnerName" and
    "Administrator" for Temporary Internet Files?

    Dick Ballard
    ballardr@att.net

    Dick Ballard wrote in:

    > From within IE, I have deleted temporary internet files. They are
    > gone under
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings,
    >
    > but are all still there under
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\OwnerName\Local Settings.
    >
    > Why is this so? I am administrator and also the only user. Is it
    > ok to directly delete in Windows Explorer?

    I think others have answered your other questions but as for the last
    one, yes, it's ok to directly delete in Windows Explorer.

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <d_r_norton@yahoo.com>

    Administrator account is teh default (built-in) account, and the "OwnerName"
    seems to be the additional account that you may have created. Have you
    checked the User Accounts applet in the Control Panel, for the list of
    accounts?

    --

    > But, as I said: " I am the administrator and also the only user." I do
    > not access Windows via log on. I am the only user who is also the
    > administrator. Windows does not ask for logon when it boots up.
    >
    > Why are there two separate locations for myself, "OwnerName" and
    > "Administrator" for Temporary Internet Files?
    >
    > Dick Ballard
    > ballardr@att.net
    >

    > On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 11:49:57 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
    > <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi Dick Ballard,
    >>
    >>When you clear the TIF from Internet Explorer Options, it's a per-user
    >>setting. To clear the TIF of other user profiles, you need to logon to
    >>that
    >>profile, and repeat the process.

    Yes, the User Accounts screen shows only my account (as administrator)
    and the guest account which is turned off.

    Dick Ballard
    ballardr@att.net

    On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 12:58:45 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
    <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:

    >Administrator account is teh default (built-in) account, and the "OwnerName"
    >seems to be the additional account that you may have created. Have you
    >checked the User Accounts applet in the Control Panel, for the list of
    >accounts?

    IIRC, hidden accounts (using SpecialAccounts registry key) don;t display in
    the User accounts applet. Try using the Net Users command from Command
    Prompt.

    --

    > Yes, the User Accounts screen shows only my account (as administrator)
    > and the guest account which is turned off.
    >
    > Dick Ballard
    > ballardr@att.net
    >

    > On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 12:58:45 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
    > <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:
    >
    >>Administrator account is teh default (built-in) account, and the
    >>"OwnerName"
    >>seems to be the additional account that you may have created. Have you
    >>checked the User Accounts applet in the Control Panel, for the list of
    >>accounts?

Windows Explorer Internet Explorer Internet Windows XP