save from word to cd

when I try to save from a word document to cd I can only find DVD Drive(E:)
and I get a message " The selected disk drive is not in use. Check to make
sure a disk is inserted."
Please try to help this extreme computer novice who is just about to throw
the whole thing in the garbage.
5 answers Last reply
More about save word

    To save _directly_ to CDs from applications, you need a Packet writing
    software (like Roxio Direct CD, Nero's InCD) and the CD media must be
    formatted with that Packet writing software. Otherwise, save the file to the
    hard disk, and then use your CD burner software to write to the CD, as done
    usually.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "notaclue" <notaclue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > when I try to save from a word document to cd I can only find DVD
    > Drive(E:)
    > and I get a message " The selected disk drive is not in use. Check to make
    > sure a disk is inserted."
    > Please try to help this extreme computer novice who is just about to throw
    > the whole thing in the garbage.

    my drive says DVD rom and that's all. Does that mean I can't write to CD.

    "notaclue" wrote:

    > when I try to save from a word document to cd I can only find DVD Drive(E:)
    > and I get a message " The selected disk drive is not in use. Check to make
    > sure a disk is inserted."
    > Please try to help this extreme computer novice who is just about to throw
    > the whole thing in the garbage.

    "notaclue" <notaclue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > when I try to save from a word document to cd I can only find DVD
    > Drive(E:)
    > and I get a message " The selected disk drive is not in use. Check to make
    > sure a disk is inserted."
    > Please try to help this extreme computer novice who is just about to throw
    > the whole thing in the garbage.

    In order to do that, you need to have what's called packet-writing software
    installed for your CD/DVD drive, and the drive needs to be capable of
    writingt to CDs. Just about every CD drive ever made will have a log on or
    near the tray with letters like CD-R DVD CD-RW CD/DVD_r+r CDRW etc.
    If there are no "R"s there, it can't write to CDs. If it's there, then
    you need compatible media (+R, -R, or RW, for instance, AND you have to have
    formatted the CD or DVD before you can write to it.

    You have to go back and look at the documentation for the CD drive you have.

    Thankyou,thankyou everyone. I feel pretty silly now. Bummer.

    notaclue wrote:
    > my drive says DVD rom and that's all. Does that mean I can't write
    > to CD.

    If all it says is "DVD-ROM" on the front, - nothing about "CD-ReWriteable"
    or "DVD R/RW", then chances are you do not own a CD/DVD writer. You will
    need to purchase one and install it. In your case, to keep from having to
    go INTO the computer - an external USB solution would be easiest.

    Something like:

    http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0179130

    or

    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=27-135-125&depa=1

    If you have a Best Buy or Circuit City or something local that has external
    CD/DVD Burners (USB) - I would go local.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

CD-Rom Microsoft Windows XP