Accessing Windows password protected files

After receiving the following message on my Sony laptop, I installed another
version of Windows XP and have been able to access my hard drive but not the
data created with the original version of Windows that was preinstalled on
the computer.

'Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
\windows\system32\config\system
You can attempt to repair files by starting Windows Setup using original
setup CD-Rom. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.'

The laptop came with Windows XP Home installed and no Windows CD-Rom was
provided. I only have recovery disc which would wipe out all files and reset
to factory default for the computer.

I managed to install and run Windows XP Professional on the laptop as well
use DOS which suggests to me that the hard drive may not be corrupt. The
problem is although I am able to see the user folders created using the
original Home version of Windows, I am not able to access them or copy them
for back up to CD's because of the password protection of the Windows user
account.

My QUESTIONS...

Is there a way that I can override the password protection of these files so
that I can backup/copy the data to CD and then be able to proceed with
recovery/reset to factory default of the computer?

Would it make sense to go through the expense of obtaining a CD-Rom for
Windows XP Home to attempt to repair the damaged file?

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated as I have many important
documents/files on the laptop which quite unfortunately were not backed up
and now I am not able to access them.

Thank you.

Aria wrote:
> After receiving the following message on my Sony laptop, I installed
> another version of Windows XP and have been able to access my hard
> drive but not the data created with the original version of Windows
> that was preinstalled on the computer.
>
> 'Windows could not start because the following file is missing or
> corrupt \windows\system32\config\system
> You can attempt to repair files by starting Windows Setup using
> original setup CD-Rom. Select 'r' at the first screen to start
> repair.'
>
> The laptop came with Windows XP Home installed and no Windows CD-Rom
> was provided. I only have recovery disc which would wipe out all
> files and reset to factory default for the computer.
>
> I managed to install and run Windows XP Professional on the laptop as
> well use DOS which suggests to me that the hard drive may not be
> corrupt. The problem is although I am able to see the user folders
> created using the original Home version of Windows, I am not able to
> access them or copy them for back up to CD's because of the password
> protection of the Windows user account.
>
> My QUESTIONS...
>
> Is there a way that I can override the password protection of these
> files so that I can backup/copy the data to CD and then be able to
> proceed with recovery/reset to factory default of the computer?
>
> Would it make sense to go through the expense of obtaining a CD-Rom
> for Windows XP Home to attempt to repair the damaged file?
>
> Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated as I have many
> important documents/files on the laptop which quite unfortunately
> were not backed up and now I am not able to access them.

As long as EFS is not involved:

How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

How to disable simplified sharing & set permissions
on a shared folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307874

--
<- Shenan ->