Notaclue

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2002

when I insert a blank writeable cd into my drive(E:) my computer says :The
selected disk drive is not in use. Check to make sure a disk is inserted. I
am so confused. The drive works fine for DVD's, music CD's, games etc. Does
this mean that I can't write to a cd. When I look in My Computer, devices
with removable storage there is DVD Drive(E:) CD drive. What does all this
mean to someone who knows very little about these things.

Are you sure that the drive that you are inserting the blank disk into is a
drive that can write to a CD?

For information on how to use Windows XP's built in CD Writing capabilities
take a look at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306524&sd=tech

--
Regards

Greg Palmer
MS-MVP Windows (Shell/User)

"notaclue" <notaclue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> when I insert a blank writeable cd into my drive(E:) my computer says :The
> selected disk drive is not in use. Check to make sure a disk is inserted.
> am so confused. The drive works fine for DVD's, music CD's, games etc.
> Does
> this mean that I can't write to a cd. When I look in My Computer, devices
> with removable storage there is DVD Drive(E:) CD drive. What does all
> this
> mean to someone who knows very little about these things.

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

you will find that xps built in software does not support packet writing,
this is generally a requirement for using cdrw's you need to install a
software package that supports this, nero to name but one there are lots
about

good luck

"Greg Palmer" wrote:

> Are you sure that the drive that you are inserting the blank disk into is a
> drive that can write to a CD?
>
> For information on how to use Windows XP's built in CD Writing capabilities
> take a look at
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306524&sd=tech
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Greg Palmer
> MS-MVP Windows (Shell/User)
>
> "notaclue" <notaclue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > when I insert a blank writeable cd into my drive(E:) my computer says :The
> > selected disk drive is not in use. Check to make sure a disk is inserted.
> > am so confused. The drive works fine for DVD's, music CD's, games etc.
> > Does
> > this mean that I can't write to a cd. When I look in My Computer, devices
> > with removable storage there is DVD Drive(E:) CD drive. What does all
> > this
> > mean to someone who knows very little about these things.

It sounds like AutoPlay got turned off somewhere and it's saying there is no
disk because you're puytting in an unformatted CD. You have to format the
CD for most applications.

Too little data to make much of a response.

--
Let someone else do it
I'm retired!
"notaclue" <notaclue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> when I insert a blank writeable cd into my drive(E:) my computer says :The
> selected disk drive is not in use. Check to make sure a disk is inserted.
> am so confused. The drive works fine for DVD's, music CD's, games etc.
> Does
> this mean that I can't write to a cd. When I look in My Computer, devices
> with removable storage there is DVD Drive(E:) CD drive. What does all
> this
> mean to someone who knows very little about these things.

TRENDING THREADS