won't boot, missing or corrupt windowssystem32configsystem

When I go to load up my computer I get the message

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
\windows\system32\config\system

You can attempt to repair this by starting windows setup using origional
setup CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair."

Tha problem is, my computer is a packard bell, and didn't come with a setup
CD-ROM, all the setup files are on the hard drive of the computer. I have a
windows recovery CD, but putting that in and turning it on again does nothing.
Also, any key i press tries to re-boot the computer. I really need this
fixed, I have a coursework deadline!!!

Thank you

James

Hi James

Please see if the following article helps:

"How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry That Prevents Windows XP from
Starting"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307545

Although if you have an OEM disk, you won't be able to use this solution.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User