DVI connex

sem

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2003
I just got an hp1530 flat panel display. When I hook it up with the dvi cable to my ati made radeon9600 I get no picture when xp boots. The screen says going to sleep, windows restarts into safe mode and gives me some error regarding the inability of the ati driver to draw the screen. The screen works fine when connected to the analog port, but I spent quite a few dollars on this damn dvi cable. I have the latest catalysts 3.10

sem

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2003
forget it, according to the forums at rage3d this is a common problem some say earlier versions (3.2) work. But Ill be damned if i am gonna go back that far. Ati once again has let me down, god i wish they would make a good goddamned driver for once.

Could you post the link to that thread/post. I haven't seen any mention of that @ R3D.

What is your setup?

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

sem

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2003
<A HREF="http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=1f499a1f5dcae992e75a3686ea4e847a&threadid=33732771&perpage=30&highlight=dvi problem&pagenumber=1" target="_new">Thread1</A>
<A HREF="http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=1f499a1f5dcae992e75a3686ea4e847a&threadid=33733182&highlight=DVI+problem" target="_new">Thread2</A>
<A HREF="http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=1f499a1f5dcae992e75a3686ea4e847a&threadid=33729984&highlight=DVI+problem" target="_new">Thread3</A>
<A HREF="http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=1f499a1f5dcae992e75a3686ea4e847a&threadid=33700044&highlight=DVI+problem" target="_new">thread4</A>

heres a few links to rage, I am running an ati made 9600np 128meg, dell optiplex gx240mobo, i845 chipset, winxp pro. Its a new install of windows with no previous video drivers installed. Ill probably just use the analog cable, it looks pretty good I dunno if the dvi is gonna make much difference.

Does seem to work for most once into windows boot screen seems to be the issue. Also alot of MOBO issues out there, not familiar to the layout of the DELLs.

I do know that when I set mine up for the R9000 on my editing rig I started the setup from the CRT first, then installed the DVI about a week later, and THEN made the LCD the primary monitor. I haven't tried it with the R9600P at all. Almost sounds like a config issue from the posts. Some seem like Mobo issues, and some seem like driver config issues based on primary secondary. As to the slow start, the thing that interested me was the idea that the boot res. may be causing conflict. Unlikely I would think but worth checking into.

I'm surprised that the 3.1 Cats worked in that TV out issue because the it doesn't support the R9600 series, and wouldn't boot when I installed it (3 times [driver cleaner after each install] and 3.2 and 3.9 worked immediately afterwards)

Strange though. Sounds like a unified mistake-proof fix would be benificial for most. Still can't pinpoint the source though. Some people get it to work with recent drivers, others not. Strange though.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

sem

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2003
well I finally got it working. Hooked up the analog and the dvi cable at the same time, windows booted and the primary monitor was listed as the vga. I switched it over to dvi(something i tried before and got an error message that pointed to an ati driver) the screen flickered and then came back on listing the fpd as the primary. Shut down removed the analog cable and rebooted, and everything was fine. The good and bad thing is, I cant tell the damn difference with the fancy dvi connection. So if it craps out on me again I'll just go with analog and not feel so bad about it. Whats with all the hype regarding dvi anyway? Maybe there are advantages to it, but i sure as hell cant see the difference.