Convincing XP I don't WANT to install MS Office!!

April 5, 2005 10:29:07 AM

Hello everyone,

I've recently upgraded to XP from ME and it's been fairly painless.
However, I'm having a problem with attempts to install MS Office and Outlook
popping up at startup and at random times. Is there some way to make it stop
trying? I tried Regedit but either couldn't find or recognize the key
prompting the behavior.

I got this machine second hand, and while the program components of Office
worked (ie: Word, Xcel, Acess) Outlook never did (I use OE) and MS Office as
a whole didn't. To install, it needs the Office disc, which I didn't receive.

I thought about just uninstalling MS Office, if it would-- but I use Word
every day, and Xcel quite frequently. Is there any way to keep those two and
trash the rest of the semi-defunct office suite?

Thanks for any help or sage advice you care to offer. I really appreciate
your generosity to share your smarts on this!

Tess
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 1:13:14 PM

Since you did not receive a Microsoft Office CD with your used computer,
an improper Microsoft Office license transfer has occurred. You'll have to
uninstall your current Microsoft Office application, then purchase your
own copy of Microsoft Office and install it.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Tess" wrote:

| Hello everyone,
|
| I've recently upgraded to XP from ME and it's been fairly painless.
| However, I'm having a problem with attempts to install MS Office and Outlook
| popping up at startup and at random times. Is there some way to make it stop
| trying? I tried Regedit but either couldn't find or recognize the key
| prompting the behavior.
|
| I got this machine second hand, and while the program components of Office
| worked (ie: Word, Xcel, Acess) Outlook never did (I use OE) and MS Office as
| a whole didn't. To install, it needs the Office disc, which I didn't receive.
|
| I thought about just uninstalling MS Office, if it would-- but I use Word
| every day, and Xcel quite frequently. Is there any way to keep those two and
| trash the rest of the semi-defunct office suite?
|
| Thanks for any help or sage advice you care to offer. I really appreciate
| your generosity to share your smarts on this!
|
| Tess
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 5:41:34 PM

Tess;
If you did not receive the disks it is doubtful you have a legitimate
license to use any components of Office including Word.
You could either buy Office and complete the installation or borrow an
office CD to fully uninstall Office.
Since this is a Windows XP newsgroup, further questions should be directed
to an Office newsgroup:
http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Tess" <Tess@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've recently upgraded to XP from ME and it's been fairly painless.
> However, I'm having a problem with attempts to install MS Office and
> Outlook
> popping up at startup and at random times. Is there some way to make it
> stop
> trying? I tried Regedit but either couldn't find or recognize the key
> prompting the behavior.
>
> I got this machine second hand, and while the program components of Office
> worked (ie: Word, Xcel, Acess) Outlook never did (I use OE) and MS Office
> as
> a whole didn't. To install, it needs the Office disc, which I didn't
> receive.
>
> I thought about just uninstalling MS Office, if it would-- but I use Word
> every day, and Xcel quite frequently. Is there any way to keep those two
> and
> trash the rest of the semi-defunct office suite?
>
> Thanks for any help or sage advice you care to offer. I really appreciate
> your generosity to share your smarts on this!
>
> Tess
April 5, 2005 11:32:35 PM

Tess wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've recently upgraded to XP from ME and it's been fairly painless.
> However, I'm having a problem with attempts to install MS Office and Outlook
> popping up at startup and at random times. Is there some way to make it stop
> trying? I tried Regedit but either couldn't find or recognize the key
> prompting the behavior.
>
> I got this machine second hand, and while the program components of Office
> worked (ie: Word, Xcel, Acess) Outlook never did (I use OE) and MS Office as
> a whole didn't. To install, it needs the Office disc, which I didn't receive.
>
> I thought about just uninstalling MS Office, if it would-- but I use Word
> every day, and Xcel quite frequently. Is there any way to keep those two and
> trash the rest of the semi-defunct office suite?
>
> Thanks for any help or sage advice you care to offer. I really appreciate
> your generosity to share your smarts on this!
>
> Tess

If you performed an in-place upgrade from an earlier edition of
Windows, and Office was already installed, you'll likely have to repair
or reinstall it, so it can add the necessary additional functions needed
for use on a multi-user OS. It may be sufficient to simply insert the
respective installation CD and select the "Detect and Repair" option.
If you don't have the CD (and therefore a legitimate license to use the
product), your only solution would be to attempt to uninstall Office.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 2:14:11 AM

Uninstall MS office. Download yourself a copy of Openoffice for windows and
install that. It's free and it's compatable.
April 6, 2005 3:56:04 AM

AFAIK, I'm afraid you'll have to get hold of or borrow a copy of that Office
version CD , go to Add/Remove progs, go into Change & uncheck the ones you
don't need.
I haven't tried it myself, You may have to install the lot, then remove the
unwanted ones.
Personally I can't see this as pirating, as you aren't actually adding
programs from the disc, just using it to rectify the problem.

--

johnf

!