Convincing XP I don't WANT to install MS Office!!

Hello everyone,

I've recently upgraded to XP from ME and it's been fairly painless.
However, I'm having a problem with attempts to install MS Office and Outlook
popping up at startup and at random times. Is there some way to make it stop
trying? I tried Regedit but either couldn't find or recognize the key
prompting the behavior.

I got this machine second hand, and while the program components of Office
worked (ie: Word, Xcel, Acess) Outlook never did (I use OE) and MS Office as
a whole didn't. To install, it needs the Office disc, which I didn't receive.

I thought about just uninstalling MS Office, if it would-- but I use Word
every day, and Xcel quite frequently. Is there any way to keep those two and
trash the rest of the semi-defunct office suite?

Thanks for any help or sage advice you care to offer. I really appreciate
your generosity to share your smarts on this!

Tess
5 answers Last reply
More about convincing install office

    Since you did not receive a Microsoft Office CD with your used computer,
    an improper Microsoft Office license transfer has occurred. You'll have to
    uninstall your current Microsoft Office application, then purchase your
    own copy of Microsoft Office and install it.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Tess" wrote:

    | Hello everyone,
    |
    | I've recently upgraded to XP from ME and it's been fairly painless.
    | However, I'm having a problem with attempts to install MS Office and Outlook
    | popping up at startup and at random times. Is there some way to make it stop
    | trying? I tried Regedit but either couldn't find or recognize the key
    | prompting the behavior.
    |
    | I got this machine second hand, and while the program components of Office
    | worked (ie: Word, Xcel, Acess) Outlook never did (I use OE) and MS Office as
    | a whole didn't. To install, it needs the Office disc, which I didn't receive.
    |
    | I thought about just uninstalling MS Office, if it would-- but I use Word
    | every day, and Xcel quite frequently. Is there any way to keep those two and
    | trash the rest of the semi-defunct office suite?
    |
    | Thanks for any help or sage advice you care to offer. I really appreciate
    | your generosity to share your smarts on this!
    |
    | Tess

    Tess;
    If you did not receive the disks it is doubtful you have a legitimate
    license to use any components of Office including Word.
    You could either buy Office and complete the installation or borrow an
    office CD to fully uninstall Office.
    Since this is a Windows XP newsgroup, further questions should be directed
    to an Office newsgroup:
    http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    Tess wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I've recently upgraded to XP from ME and it's been fairly painless.
    > However, I'm having a problem with attempts to install MS Office and Outlook
    > popping up at startup and at random times. Is there some way to make it stop
    > trying? I tried Regedit but either couldn't find or recognize the key
    > prompting the behavior.
    >
    > I got this machine second hand, and while the program components of Office
    > worked (ie: Word, Xcel, Acess) Outlook never did (I use OE) and MS Office as
    > a whole didn't. To install, it needs the Office disc, which I didn't receive.
    >
    > I thought about just uninstalling MS Office, if it would-- but I use Word
    > every day, and Xcel quite frequently. Is there any way to keep those two and
    > trash the rest of the semi-defunct office suite?
    >
    > Thanks for any help or sage advice you care to offer. I really appreciate
    > your generosity to share your smarts on this!
    >
    > Tess

    If you performed an in-place upgrade from an earlier edition of
    Windows, and Office was already installed, you'll likely have to repair
    or reinstall it, so it can add the necessary additional functions needed
    for use on a multi-user OS. It may be sufficient to simply insert the
    respective installation CD and select the "Detect and Repair" option.
    If you don't have the CD (and therefore a legitimate license to use the
    product), your only solution would be to attempt to uninstall Office.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Uninstall MS office. Download yourself a copy of Openoffice for windows and
    install that. It's free and it's compatable.

    AFAIK, I'm afraid you'll have to get hold of or borrow a copy of that Office
    version CD , go to Add/Remove progs, go into Change & uncheck the ones you
    don't need.
    I haven't tried it myself, You may have to install the lot, then remove the
    unwanted ones.
    Personally I can't see this as pirating, as you aren't actually adding
    programs from the disc, just using it to rectify the problem.

    --

    johnf

    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I've recently upgraded to XP from ME and it's been fairly painless.
    > However, I'm having a problem with attempts to install MS Office and
    > Outlook popping up at startup and at random times. Is there some way
    > to make it stop trying? I tried Regedit but either couldn't find or
    > recognize the key prompting the behavior.
    >
    > I got this machine second hand, and while the program components of
    > Office worked (ie: Word, Xcel, Acess) Outlook never did (I use OE) and
    > MS Office as a whole didn't. To install, it needs the Office disc,
    > which I didn't receive.
    >
    > I thought about just uninstalling MS Office, if it would-- but I use
    > Word every day, and Xcel quite frequently. Is there any way to keep
    > those two and trash the rest of the semi-defunct office suite?
    >
    > Thanks for any help or sage advice you care to offer. I really
    > appreciate your generosity to share your smarts on this!
    >
    > Tess

Office Windows XP