endless setup loop

I am working on a machine running XP. Not sure what caused the original
problem, but the system became bootable only in safe mode. I tried system
restore, but to no avail. I decided on a repair install of XP, and began the
process. About halfway thru setup, the computer Reboots on its own, and
setup is restarted. I cant seem to get out of setup, no matter what I try.
I tried changing the boot order in BIOS, and removing the XP disk, but it
still restarts setup, no matter what. All I want to do now is get this
machine reformatted, and start with a clean install. But I dont know how to
get to that point. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Forgot to mention that I'm working on a Toshiba laptop that was purchased
used, and came with no recovery software. Also, this machine has no floppy
drive, or I would just use an old Win 98 boot disk and FDISK and format. Is
there a way to to get to a command prompt in my situation, and if so, would
I be able to wipe the hard drive from there??

"thymekiller" wrote:

> I am working on a machine running XP. Not sure what caused the original
> problem, but the system became bootable only in safe mode. I tried system
> restore, but to no avail. I decided on a repair install of XP, and began the
> process. About halfway thru setup, the computer Reboots on its own, and
> setup is restarted. I cant seem to get out of setup, no matter what I try.
> I tried changing the boot order in BIOS, and removing the XP disk, but it
> still restarts setup, no matter what. All I want to do now is get this
> machine reformatted, and start with a clean install. But I dont know how to
> get to that point. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Hi

If you have a Win98 CD let the Tosh boot from it . I t should give you a
menu, select the bottom option and use FDISK from there.

HTH's

Derek

"thymekiller" <thymekiller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Forgot to mention that I'm working on a Toshiba laptop that was
> purchased
> used, and came with no recovery software. Also, this machine has no
> floppy
> drive, or I would just use an old Win 98 boot disk and FDISK and format.
> Is
> there a way to to get to a command prompt in my situation, and if so,
> would
> I be able to wipe the hard drive from there??
>

> "thymekiller" wrote:
>
>> I am working on a machine running XP. Not sure what caused the original
>> problem, but the system became bootable only in safe mode. I tried
>> system
>> restore, but to no avail. I decided on a repair install of XP, and began
>> the
>> process. About halfway thru setup, the computer Reboots on its own, and
>> setup is restarted. I cant seem to get out of setup, no matter what I
>> try.
>> I tried changing the boot order in BIOS, and removing the XP disk, but it
>> still restarts setup, no matter what. All I want to do now is get this
>> machine reformatted, and start with a clean install. But I dont know how
>> get to that point. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks so much for the suggestion. I do have an old Win 98 CD. I'll give it
a try!!!