Problem with new XP install...

gymscat

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
As posted below:
"During the installation I'm getting a message: "Windows could not load the installer for CDROM..." and "Windows could not load the installer for disk drive...Contact hardware vendor for assistance.
The install seems to be continuing though...
I'm installing on a newly created C partition.
Any ideas?
Thx
Gary

I continued with the installation but can't get past the beginning of the Windows splash screen. The monitor goes blank. Both of my hds are recognized in the bios. Is this related to the problem listed above?
Thx much for any help.
G.

rubikian

Distinguished
May 20, 2002
What's your specs? What type of hard disk and CDROM you got? It's hard to help without specs.

Check if anything is loosen in your computer...eg. RAM or your IDE cable...

cneitz

Distinguished
May 1, 2003
With any Windows installations I have, I ALWAYS debug the hdd (in essence, returning the drive to factory condition - no partitions). This has always resolved my setup issues. For more information see -- http://www.psyklone.com/debug.html -- and use the 'delete partitions on ide drive' script. I use this on a daily basis. Just use caution to be very precise when using these scripts.

gymscat

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Sorry...I should have given you that...Athlon XP 1600+
MSI K7T266 Pro 2 mobo
512 Crucial DDR RAM
MSI Geforce 2 Ti 64 Mb DDR
WD 80 G. 8mb Buffer
Maxtor 60 G.
Here's the latest:
I wiped the drive by writing 0's to it using the WD software. I also put in an old cd rom drive which I know works. I formatted the drive and started the reinstall. It didn't work. It copied the files to the point where it reboots for the first time. It gives an error: "exception c0000096 at address 75EEE707" and also something about "fffffe0b" and then starts a loop of rebooting. However I also noticed an error message that flashed on for a few seconds that said something about being low on virtual memory. Does that give us a clue?
Btw I also borrowed a Win XP cd from a friend just to see if it was a fault with the cd and again the same thing happened. It doesn't get to the part where it asks for the product key.
Btw when I had the box apart to change the cd rom I checked all connections on everything including removing the video card and putting it back in. Gary