Faxing with Windows XP

I had been told previously that faxing with a DSL line was not possible, at
least under Windows 95. I "appear" to have configured the fax service per
Q306550 and the installation went normally. I have an internal modem as the "fax
device" via a scanner, but I'm still not clear if this is possible.

Bill

Bill

Connect the 'scanner' to a telephone jack just as you would fit a
telephone..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Bill Helbron" <jw.helbron@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I had been told previously that faxing with a DSL line was not possible, at
> least under Windows 95. I "appear" to have configured the fax service per
> Q306550 and the installation went normally. I have an internal modem as
> the "fax
> device" via a scanner, but I'm still not clear if this is possible.
>
> Bill

Thanks Mike, but my scanner (Visioneer 8100) only has a USB connection to the
PC. However, my internal modem (Lucent) IS connected to the phone jack. I'm a
novice at faxing from a PC, so details would be appreciated! Since you didn't
say that a DSL line would prohibit faxing is certainly encouraging!

Bill

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 12:17:59 -0400, "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)"
<mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Bill
>
>Connect the 'scanner' to a telephone jack just as you would fit a
>telephone..

Ricky

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2003

Set the fax software to dial with the internal modem and make sure you
install a filter on it also.

| Thanks Mike, but my scanner (Visioneer 8100) only has a USB
connection to the
| PC. However, my internal modem (Lucent) IS connected to the phone
jack. I'm a
| novice at faxing from a PC, so details would be appreciated! Since
you didn't
| say that a DSL line would prohibit faxing is certainly encouraging!
|
| Bill
|
| On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 12:17:59 -0400, "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)"
| <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:
|
| >Bill
| >
| >Connect the 'scanner' to a telephone jack just as you would fit a
| >telephone..

Bill

I misunderstood your original post.. all in one scanner/printer/copier
devices are often capable of faxing and your statement "I have an internal
modem as the "fax device" via a scanner" suggested that you had that kind of
scanner..

If you have ONLY a DSL connection, you can use a service like eFax..

http://www.efax.com

If you connect to the net via an external DSL device, and have an old
analogue modem fitted from the time that you used a dialup connection, you
still have the option of using eFax, OR you can set up XP Fax..

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/crawford_02october21.mspx

If your DSL connection was installed by the ISP, they may have 'disabled'
the analogue modem, in which case, you pay a visit to your Network
Connections and re-enable it.. the link above will then take you through the
steps to setup and use XP Fax..

As the other reply stated, you will need filters on the line, but your ISP
should have supplied these..

I hope that I have understood the situation better this time.. if you do not
agree, then please post again.. if the info that I have provided works for
you, please reply and tell me.. without feedback, it is inpossible to
determine whether help given is of any value or use..

Good luck..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Bill Helbron" <jw.helbron@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Thanks Mike, but my scanner (Visioneer 8100) only has a USB connection to
> the
> PC. However, my internal modem (Lucent) IS connected to the phone jack.
> I'm a
> novice at faxing from a PC, so details would be appreciated! Since you
> didn't
> say that a DSL line would prohibit faxing is certainly encouraging!
>
> Bill
>
> On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 12:17:59 -0400, "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)"
> <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>>Bill
>>
>>Connect the 'scanner' to a telephone jack just as you would fit a
>>telephone..

Ricky,

>make sure you install a filter on it also.
You threw me a curve on on "filter"! I use Norton IS and AV, but I don't know
about installing any filters.

Bill

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 15:52:45 -0500, "Ricky" <rsjoiner@no_spambellsouth.net>
wrote:

>Set the fax software to dial with the internal modem and make sure you
>install a filter on it also.
>
>"Bill Helbron" <jw.helbron@verizon.net> wrote in message
>| Thanks Mike, but my scanner (Visioneer 8100) only has a USB
>connection to the
>| PC. However, my internal modem (Lucent) IS connected to the phone
>jack. I'm a
>| novice at faxing from a PC, so details would be appreciated! Since
>you didn't
>| say that a DSL line would prohibit faxing is certainly encouraging!
>|
>| Bill
>|
>| On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 12:17:59 -0400, "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)"
>| <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>|
>| >Bill
>| >
>| >Connect the 'scanner' to a telephone jack just as you would fit a
>| >telephone..

Mike,

OK, now I know what you mean by "filters" and yes, I installed the ones provided
by Verizon in all of the appropriate places.

>>If your DSL connection was installed by the ISP, they may have 'disabled' the analogue modem
I kind of doubt that they disabled it since I use the Lucent modem frequently
for a time check application, but I'll double check.

>"I have an internal modem as the "fax device" via a scanner" suggested that you had that kind of scanner..
I probably misled you as well - I do NOT have an "all-in-one" scanner. Perhaps
that would be a lot simpler, but mine is a Visionneer 8100 One-Touch. Apparently
with this new fax software, it uses the modem as a "fax device". At least that's
the way the software appears to have configured it. Apparently, I don't need the
scanner like I originally thought.

When I get the Fax Console window to open, and click on Fax Wizard, everything
"seems" to be working properly. Unfortunately, I don't have a fax number to send
a trial fax to check it out.

>If you connect to the net via an external DSL device, and have an old analogue modem fitted from the time that you used a dialup connection
I have a Fujitsu Speedport DSL modem sitting on my desk and an old Lucent
internal modem used in my Win98 system.

Let me read more about your suggested site
>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/crawford_02october21.mspx.

Still don't think I'm "out of the woods" yet!

Bill

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 18:31:52 -0400, "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)"
<mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Bill
>
>I misunderstood your original post.. all in one scanner/printer/copier
>devices are often capable of faxing and your statement "I have an internal
>modem as the "fax device" via a scanner" suggested that you had that kind of
>scanner..
>
>If you have ONLY a DSL connection, you can use a service like eFax..
>
>http://www.efax.com
>
>If you connect to the net via an external DSL device, and have an old
>analogue modem fitted from the time that you used a dialup connection, you
>still have the option of using eFax, OR you can set up XP Fax..
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/crawford_02october21.mspx
>
>If your DSL connection was installed by the ISP, they may have 'disabled'
>the analogue modem, in which case, you pay a visit to your Network
>Connections and re-enable it.. the link above will then take you through the
>steps to setup and use XP Fax..
>
>As the other reply stated, you will need filters on the line, but your ISP
>should have supplied these..
>
>I hope that I have understood the situation better this time.. if you do not
>agree, then please post again.. if the info that I have provided works for
>you, please reply and tell me.. without feedback, it is inpossible to
>determine whether help given is of any value or use..
>
>Good luck..

Bill

I always fax using XP Fax and MS Office.. it may not be the most feature
packed fax program but it works.. to test your fax, find a computer parts
store, get the fax number from their contact list, and ask a bogus
question..

I am sure that you are closer to faxing than you presently believe..

--

> [...]
>>still have the option of using eFax, OR you can set up XP Fax..
>>
>>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/crawford_02october21.mspx
>>
>>If your DSL connection was installed by the ISP, they may have 'disabled'
>>the analogue modem, in which case, you pay a visit to your Network
>>Connections and re-enable it.. the link above will then take you through
>>the
>>steps to setup and use XP Fax..
>>
>>As the other reply stated, you will need filters on the line, but your ISP
>>should have supplied these..
>>
>>I hope that I have understood the situation better this time.. if you do
>>not
>>agree, then please post again.. if the info that I have provided works for
>>you, please reply and tell me.. without feedback, it is inpossible to
>>determine whether help given is of any value or use..

Mike,

I found two friends with fax machines in their homes and sent them trial faxes.
Both worked perfectly! However, when one tried to send faxes back to me, it
failed twice, both with the same Fax Monitor listing:

"Ringing.
Ringing.
The call was answered.
Recovering Page 1.
An error occurred while receiving the page."

There was no further explanation. Any suggestions?

BTW, I had the Fax Configuration Wizard set with the "Enable Receive" checked
and to automatically answer after 2 rings. This seems to work OK - I hear the
phone ring and the internal modem ring - but my phone is set to record a message
after 4 rings. Won't this screw-up the answering machine?

Bill

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 19:54:20 -0400, "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)"
<mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Bill
>
>I always fax using XP Fax and MS Office.. it may not be the most feature
>packed fax program but it works.. to test your fax, find a computer parts
>store, get the fax number from their contact list, and ask a bogus
>question..
>
>I am sure that you are closer to faxing than you presently believe..

Bill

That is the eternal problem with fax receive, and partly why fax receive is
not the default setting, maybe.. I gotten over the problem by making my
cellphone the main voice system, thereby leaving the land line purely for
fax..

I found a webpage that sells fax switches.. none of them are that cheap, and
I have seen way more expensive items..

http://www.office1000.com/discount/fax-fax-data-switches.html

You may want to consider a fax to e-mail service still.. www.efax.com and
look at what you have achieved as good experience..

--

> Mike,
>
> I found two friends with fax machines in their homes and sent them trial
> faxes.
> Both worked perfectly! However, when one tried to send faxes back to me,
> it
> failed twice, both with the same Fax Monitor listing:
>
> "Ringing.
> Ringing.
> The call was answered.
> Recovering Page 1.
> An error occurred while receiving the page."
>
> There was no further explanation. Any suggestions?
>
> BTW, I had the Fax Configuration Wizard set with the "Enable Receive"
> checked
> and to automatically answer after 2 rings. This seems to work OK - I hear
> the
> phone ring and the internal modem ring - but my phone is set to record a
> message
> after 4 rings. Won't this screw-up the answering machine?
>
> Bill
>
> On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 19:54:20 -0400, "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)"
> <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>>Bill
>>
>>I always fax using XP Fax and MS Office.. it may not be the most feature
>>packed fax program but it works.. to test your fax, find a computer parts
>>store, get the fax number from their contact list, and ask a bogus
>>question..
>>
>>I am sure that you are closer to faxing than you presently believe..

Mike,

I've unchecked the "Enable Receive" in the Fax Configuration Wizard since I
really don't need it that much. The fact that I can now send an occassional fax
is good enough! Thanks!

Bill

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 20:53:53 -0400, "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)"
<mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Bill
>
>That is the eternal problem with fax receive, and partly why fax receive is
>not the default setting, maybe.. I gotten over the problem by making my
>cellphone the main voice system, thereby leaving the land line purely for
>fax..
>
>I found a webpage that sells fax switches.. none of them are that cheap, and
>I have seen way more expensive items..
>
>http://www.office1000.com/discount/fax-fax-data-switches.html
>
>You may want to consider a fax to e-mail service still.. www.efax.com and
>look at what you have achieved as good experience..

Bill

If you know that you are about to receive a fax, you can always enable it
again.. glad that you have had some success at least..