steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

I have an emachines T2042. 3 Ghz, 40 GB and 128 MB. I'm sure I could use
more memory, but that's not the problem. I've defragged, I've dumped cookies
and files, I've run Ad aware and some virus software and my computer is
getting slower and slower. I'd sure appreciate some help. Thank you - Steve

thingy

"steve" <steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an emachines T2042. 3 Ghz, 40 GB and 128 MB. I'm sure I could use
> more memory, but that's not the problem. I've defragged, I've dumped
> cookies
> and files, I've run Ad aware and some virus software and my computer is
> getting slower and slower. I'd sure appreciate some help. Thank you -
> Steve

Firstly, no matter what you do - even to the point of reformatting - if you
are
using XP, your macine will be doing one of two things:
1> Not running at its full potential
2> Running as fast as a tired woodlouse through a vat of glue.
You need more memory. At least another 128, but you might as well whack in
a 512 stick
if possible.

If you can't bear to buy more memory, then at least turn off all the
animated features, live visual styles,
animated menus, shadows - right-click My Computer, select properties. Click
on the Advanced
tab, and then on settings in the performance section. Turn the lot off -
unless you really must have the
funky start button, in which case, leave only the bottom option ticked.

Oh, and buy some more memory!