%SystemRoot% variable does not expand in path

I recently discovered that I could not use PING or IPCONFIG from the XP
command prompt. The beginning of my path displays as follows:
PATH=%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;...

ECHO %SystemRoot% returns the correct response: C:\Windows

If I type the full path (e.g. c:\windows\system32\ipconfig), the command
works, but I can't figure out how to repair the PATH or what possibly went
wrong. I can't repair my installation, since the CD version is older than
the SP2 vesion, so my next thought was to re-install SP2. Any better ideas?

I'm running XP Pro SP2, fully updated.

Thanks in advance.
2 answers Last reply
More about systemroot variable expand path

    Hi

    You need explicit entries to folders in the PATH statement.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Will Denny" wrote:
    > You need explicit entries to folders in the PATH statement.

    I will make those changes.. don't know why I didn't think of that. Thanks
    so much for your assistance!

Command Prompt Windows XP