Changed/missing icons for Desktop & files

Ely

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2004

I operate Windows XP Home edition on my computer. When I've performed a
program install (Palm One OS for my new PDA and ACT! 6.0) lately, the icons
for MS Word and Excel on my desktop and in my Windows Explorer files change
to a generic one. I've executed a system restore a couple of times and they
re-appear but as soon as I install the program again the same thing happens.
After some time passes, MS Front Page, Publisher, PowerPoint and Word Perfect
follow suit. Occassionally a program called MediaFace also goes generic on
the desktop but often re-appears after shutdown and restart.
I strongly suspect there's something happening in the registry to cause
this. I've tried to re-install XP to see if there's a repair function but I
can't get it to even start because it says there's a newer version resident
on the computer and won't boot at all.
Hope someone can give me sime direction here....
Thanks in advance,

--
ELY

Ely

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2004

Thanks for the suggestion; unfortunately this had no effect on the desktop
nor the file icons in Explorer