Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
I've been testing Halo since last couple of days. (Played 1st level and ½ of 2nd level) Graphics look dated, gameplay is mediocre, decent sound/music and sloooooooooooooooow performance. In timedemo, I get 14 fps average @ 1024 × 768 (max details/effects, PS 1.4, no AA/AF, max q. sound with hw acceleration and EAX). Lower details/effects doesn't help performance much. At 640 × 480 resolution, 20 fps average (same settings), which I is barely playable. I'm not surprised with performance, because I knew it will perform like this. I wouldn't care about this slow performance if the game looked awesome or gameplay felt great. Combat scenes are nothing special and vehicle driving sux. I don't know why this game handles acceleration/brake with keyboard and cornering with mouse. I find it very uncomfortable. Max Payne2, Call of Duty looks great and runs very well in the same PC @ 1024 × 768 × 32bit and max details (no AA/AF). I don't have a DX9 card, so I can't enjoy fancy DX9 effects. But where's good if a game looks unimpressive and very slow, but have some cool DX9 effects?

I can't play multiplayer because I'm stuck with 33.6k dial-up.

Test system: AXP 1700+ oc'ed to 1800+ (11 x 138 MHz), nForce2 Ultra400, 512 MB (2 x 256 MB) DDR sync with FSB @ 2.0-2-2-5, Gigabyte Radeon 9000 (250/200, Catalyst 3.9), SB Live! Value

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig & 3DMark score</A></b>

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
That game crash with my system, ever since, I never play that again
It randomly crashes during the game, I have no idea wtf is going on, then I just get a blue death screen..
other games have no problem, so I expect this to be some kind of conflict my hardware and that game

Athlon XP 2000+@1.67Ghz, Palomino Core
MSI KT3-Ultra2, VIA KT333 based
Crucial PC2700@DDR266@2/2/2/5
Radeon8500LE@275/250Mhz
Sound Blaster Live 5.1

Marvelii

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2001
the game has coding problems try the updates it might help you get 3-5 fps. I stopped playing it because the game would crash and ran too slow.

Shuttle XPC SN45G
Athlon XP 3200+
nForce2 Ultra 400
Corsair 512mb ddr400
Radeon 9600 Pro
WD 160GB HDD
Toshiba DVD-RW

Vimp

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2003
I disagree that the game sucks. However I do admit that the graphics arnt anything sspecial, or at least not with my DX7 card, even though other games I play look better. However the gameplay and storyline of the game I think is very good. My biggest problem with it is the physics and the lack of replay value. The vehicle physics were suppose to be some of the greatest most realistic physics in a game according to all the interviews made prior to the game release and prior to Microsoft taking over. But as it is the physics arn't only not what they were said to be but they are actually very bad compared to many other games physics. I was very dissappointed with that aspect alone.
Performance wise I didn't have a problem. I got very playable frame rates at medium-high detail.

My system: AMD Athelon 2500+ Barton, Asus A7N8X-X mobo, Geforce2 GTS/Pro, 512mb PC3200 running at 333mhz. Nothing is over clocked.

markgun

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
It randomly crashes during the game, I have no idea wtf is going on, then I just get a blue death screen..
The only drivers I've gotten to work w/out crashing Halo on my 8500 are Cat 3.0 and recently, Cat 3.10 (I never tried 3.9, though). It's a driver problem for the 8500 series.

<b>Qui habet aures audiendi audiat</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by markgun on 01/11/04 07:25 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
Thank god, I thought I was the only one with the stupid framerates. My mouse is also way too sensitive in the game, even after adjusting it to the lowest setting. I'll give it another chance during the holidays though.

I thought KOTOR was the roxxorz too, but after one gaming session, I uninstalled it for various reasons.

My last game I'll try is JK3. If that sucks, I'll play Q3 forever.

-----
Hope for the future.
Reflect on the past.
But focus on the present you mofo.

The only reason to get HALO IMO is for the multi-player, without it yeah it's not impressive. I enjoyed it better on the X-box forthe regular campaign because you can have co-operative multiplayer, great for after hockey/football get togethers.

Alot of people aren't impressed with the coding job. ike someone else mentioned, there is a patch to help as well as a HALO tweak guide (which I have linked at work [looked here in vain]) which helps you turn things on/off. Also has the no-cd crack and such to speed the game up even more.

I'll post the Tweak guide from work if someone doesn't post it here first.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
I was using Cat 3.2, now 3.7, both crashes...so I just leave 3.7 on my system
the other reason i don't play the game is cuz the framerate is simple not fast enough to have fun..

LancerEvolution7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
I installed Halo and played using my 8500dv. No issues running it, but I do tend to agree that the game doesn't deserve the recognition it got. Supposedly this was one of the greatest FPS ever made and should be near all the other fps. Nope, played just like Half Life original, only worst.

KWPLunchbox

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
Man, as a PC gamer, single player Halo is so sub-par its pathetic. It looked good on the Xbox but it is plain mediocre compared to the majority of PC FPS's. The ONLY cool thing I like is blowing bodies around with grenades, which is not unique.

The multiplayer game is fairly impressive. Fastest load times of any online game I've played so far. Hopefully Halo2 will be much more polished in general.

<font color=purple>AMD XP 2500+ @ 3200+/200, A7N8X Dlx, 512mb PC3200 Corsair XMS DDR, ATi 9800Pro, Audigy Platinum, 2/5 TB of storage, TDK 48x CDRW, Lite-On 16x DVD, XP Pro SP1, and more neon than a ghetto sled

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
I have had no crashes on either of my two systems.... GF4 Ti4200 and ATI 9500. I did get bored with it... and I am still half way through... it crashes my 3rd system within a minute of gameplay, though, running a GF2 MX400...

On my two main computers, my framerates are fine... usually 30-60+

<font color=red><b>To reign is worth ambition though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heav'n.</b></font color=red>
John Milton, <i>Paradise Lost</i>, II 262-263

Ok into work a little early;

Here ya go (sorry you will have to suffer their ad first);

<A HREF="http://www.tweaktown.com/ttg/ttgdocument.php?dType=guide&dId=456&70874" target="_new">http://www.tweaktown.com/ttg/ttgdocument.php?dType=guide&dId=456&70874</A>

Hope that helps.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
I've tried both with v1.0 and 1.031 patch. It's feels same, though I didn't benchmark with 1.031.

I have no crash problem though, with both v1.0 and 1.031. I used Catalyst 3.9

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig & 3DMark score</A></b>

ComradeMishkin

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2003
Tell me about it. This is pretty much the only game I have bought and regretted doing so. Outdated, extreamly repetitive levels, basic visuals and runs slower than nothing else.

Athlon XP2600+ FSB333
Biostar M7NCD Pro
3x512 DDR333
Gforce Ti4200

Saven

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2003
Please understand!!! if you have a crap video card! This game looks like crap! I have radeon 9600pro... looks great... plays ok. Bro has gf4 mx440 look like crap... plays like crap. If you really like halo multiplayer(which is the way to play this game)go get a new 9800pro and enjoy it in it's glory! I do however agree that the codeing is pretty crapy at times. Like when i throw a gernade... it hits the vehicle.... i see it start to flip... and then all of a sudden it's on the ground just fine. WTF is that?

other than that ... great ctf game!

TRENDING THREADS