new computer/old harddrive install

April 5, 2005 7:29:03 PM

I got a new motherboard/CPU and I put the old harddrive in it but i would not
boot, it said disk error so I put in the XP disk and tried repair and it took
me to c:\windows\ and I have no idea what to do next?? PLEASE help
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 7:39:11 PM

With any new board and reuseing the hds,one must reinstall xp,a repair
doesnt cut it.Boot to xp cd,install xp,new instalation.

"Robert" wrote:

> I got a new motherboard/CPU and I put the old harddrive in it but i would not
> boot, it said disk error so I put in the XP disk and tried repair and it took
> me to c:\windows\ and I have no idea what to do next?? PLEASE help
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 11:35:19 PM

Robert wrote:
> I got a new motherboard/CPU and I put the old harddrive in it but i would not
> boot, it said disk error so I put in the XP disk and tried repair and it took
> me to c:\windows\ and I have no idea what to do next?? PLEASE help

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations are
not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours before starting),
unless the new motherboard is virtually identical (same chipset, same
IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the one on which the WinXP
installation was originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair
(a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at the very least:

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=K...;EN-US;Q315341

The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this point.
You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the OS. (If
you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as picking up a
Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch style
foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K before it,
is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to accepting any
old hardware configuration you throw at it. On installation it
"tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This is one of the
reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much more stable
than the Win9x group.

important data before starting.

This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than
120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
likely be able to activate via the Internet without problem. If it's
been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
April 5, 2005 11:35:41 PM

Andrew E. wrote:
> With any new board and reuseing the hds,one must reinstall xp,a repair
> doesnt cut it.Boot to xp cd,install xp,new instalation.

Lies.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 3:21:58 AM

In news:A6433020-3FD2-4946-8FC5-4C236361FB36@microsoft.com,
Andrew E. <eckrichco@msn.com> respectfully replied ;-)
> With any new board and reuseing the hds,one must reinstall xp,a repair
> doesnt cut it.Boot to xp cd,install xp,new instalation.
>
> "Robert" wrote:
>
>> I got a new motherboard/CPU and I put the old harddrive in it but i
>> would not boot, it said disk error so I put in the XP disk and tried
>> repair and it took me to c:\windows\ and I have no idea what to do
>> next?? PLEASE help

Absolutely wrong. Again!

Click on the link below, or copy and paste the link into the address box
if using the web based newsgroup.
Move XP to new hardware.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
--