computer sporadically rebooting itself

Hello, I am having some trouble with my machine and was wondering if anybody
could explain it. I will be on my cpu playing games, and than out of nowhere
it will just reboot my system. It only happens once every couple hours and it
has only started in the last week. I spoke to my friend who also has XP and
he says he has had problems with his cpu restarting for about 5 days as well.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
9 answers Last reply
More about computer sporadically rebooting itself

    I am trouble shooting a system that is doing the same thing, except it has
    gotten to the point where it reboots shortly after startup, and within a few
    automatic restrarts it won't even make it into Windows all the way before
    rebooting.... please let me know what you find out, I'll do the same.

    Thanks,

    Paul

    "taylor" wrote:

    > Hello, I am having some trouble with my machine and was wondering if anybody
    > could explain it. I will be on my cpu playing games, and than out of nowhere
    > it will just reboot my system. It only happens once every couple hours and it
    > has only started in the last week. I spoke to my friend who also has XP and
    > he says he has had problems with his cpu restarting for about 5 days as well.
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated

    When you reboot go into BIOS and check your system temperature. it may be
    overheating. Just one possible reason.

    taylor <taylor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Hello, I am having some trouble with my machine and was wondering if anybody
    >could explain it. I will be on my cpu playing games, and than out of nowhere
    >it will just reboot my system. It only happens once every couple hours and it
    >has only started in the last week. I spoke to my friend who also has XP and
    >he says he has had problems with his cpu restarting for about 5 days as well.
    >Any help would be greatly appreciated

    Open Control Panel - System - General and click on the Settings button
    in the Startup and Recovery (bottom) section.

    In the Startup and Recovery window click on the checkbox for
    "Automatically restart" to clear it. Then click on Apply and OK as
    needed to exit.

    That should put an end to the spontanteous reboots. However they may
    be replaced by a "Blue Screen Of Death" STOP error message and the
    computer may then lock up, requiring a manual power off and restart.

    If that does happen then the contents of the STOP error message,
    including the STOP Code and all 4 parameters, will be a direct clue as
    to the underlying cause of the problem. Post that information back
    here if you require assistance with diagnosing this.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Ok, did that. I get no BSOD, no errors at all. Nothing in the event logs. The
    system just sporadically reboots, no warning, no shutdown screen, just goes
    blank for a second then starts up at the BIOS initialization screen, as if
    someone hit the reset button. It does not do this with a new drive/fresh
    install. Just with original drive with all the latest patches and updates.
    After a couple times it won't even make it to the Windows login screen.

    The drive works and is error free as a slave drive.

    Anyone else make any progress with Ron's suggestion?

    Thanks,

    "Ron Martell" wrote:

    > taylor <taylor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Hello, I am having some trouble with my machine and was wondering if anybody
    > >could explain it. I will be on my cpu playing games, and than out of nowhere
    > >it will just reboot my system. It only happens once every couple hours and it
    > >has only started in the last week. I spoke to my friend who also has XP and
    > >he says he has had problems with his cpu restarting for about 5 days as well.
    > >Any help would be greatly appreciated
    >
    > Open Control Panel - System - General and click on the Settings button
    > in the Startup and Recovery (bottom) section.
    >
    > In the Startup and Recovery window click on the checkbox for
    > "Automatically restart" to clear it. Then click on Apply and OK as
    > needed to exit.
    >
    > That should put an end to the spontanteous reboots. However they may
    > be replaced by a "Blue Screen Of Death" STOP error message and the
    > computer may then lock up, requiring a manual power off and restart.
    >
    > If that does happen then the contents of the STOP error message,
    > including the STOP Code and all 4 parameters, will be a direct clue as
    > to the underlying cause of the problem. Post that information back
    > here if you require assistance with diagnosing this.
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Hi Wilco,

    Lets try this, we may have more luck. To determine what driver is
    causing the problem I need you to enable driver verifier.
    Steps:
    1) Windows Key + R
    2) Type in 'verifier' and hit enter
    3) Make sure 'Create Standard Setting' is selected and hit next
    4) Click on 'Select all drivers installed on this computer' and hit Finish
    5) Reboot

    There is a possibility that your computer will crash on reboot. If this
    occurs hit F8 when rebooting just before the windows logo screen and select
    the safe mode boot option. Follow the same steps above but on step 4 choose
    'Select driver names from a list'; hit next; check the box next to any
    driver where the provider is not Microsoft; hit Finish; reboot.

    This will slow the performance of you computer a little while enabled but
    will hopefully catch the driver causing corruption. Next time you crash
    the blue screen will hopefully say something like
    "DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION". If this occurs please send the
    corresponding minidump (by default it is at c:\windows\Minidump ) my way.
    If you have any questions or I didn't explain something well enough don't
    hesitate to e-mail me back. Good Luck,

    Joshua Smith
    OpenGL Test Lab
    Microsoft
    -----

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

    "wilco" <wilco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Ok, did that. I get no BSOD, no errors at all. Nothing in the event logs.
    > The
    > system just sporadically reboots, no warning, no shutdown screen, just
    > goes
    > blank for a second then starts up at the BIOS initialization screen, as if
    > someone hit the reset button. It does not do this with a new drive/fresh
    > install. Just with original drive with all the latest patches and updates.
    > After a couple times it won't even make it to the Windows login screen.
    >
    > The drive works and is error free as a slave drive.
    >
    > Anyone else make any progress with Ron's suggestion?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > "Ron Martell" wrote:
    >
    >> taylor <taylor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hello, I am having some trouble with my machine and was wondering if
    >> >anybody
    >> >could explain it. I will be on my cpu playing games, and than out of
    >> >nowhere
    >> >it will just reboot my system. It only happens once every couple hours
    >> >and it
    >> >has only started in the last week. I spoke to my friend who also has XP
    >> >and
    >> >he says he has had problems with his cpu restarting for about 5 days as
    >> >well.
    >> >Any help would be greatly appreciated
    >>
    >> Open Control Panel - System - General and click on the Settings button
    >> in the Startup and Recovery (bottom) section.
    >>
    >> In the Startup and Recovery window click on the checkbox for
    >> "Automatically restart" to clear it. Then click on Apply and OK as
    >> needed to exit.
    >>
    >> That should put an end to the spontanteous reboots. However they may
    >> be replaced by a "Blue Screen Of Death" STOP error message and the
    >> computer may then lock up, requiring a manual power off and restart.
    >>
    >> If that does happen then the contents of the STOP error message,
    >> including the STOP Code and all 4 parameters, will be a direct clue as
    >> to the underlying cause of the problem. Post that information back
    >> here if you require assistance with diagnosing this.
    >>
    >> Good luck
    >>

    >> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    >> --
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> On-Line Help Computer Service
    >> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    >>
    >> In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    >> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Hello, I am having the same problem. When I try to access certain websites
    the computer shuts down. This only happens when I am trying to access certain
    websites. So the computer shuts down and I get a blue screen with a STOP
    message:
    STOP:0x0000000A(0x00000000,0x00000002,0x00000000,0x804ebb8bb

    Can you help in solving this problem

    thanks

    "Joshua Smith [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
    > >> "Automatically restart" to clear it. Then click on Apply and OK as
    > >> needed to exit.
    > >>
    > >> That should put an end to the spontanteous reboots. However they may
    > >> be replaced by a "Blue Screen Of Death" STOP error message and the
    > >> computer may then lock up, requiring a manual power off and restart.
    > >>
    > >> If that does happen then the contents of the STOP error message,
    > >> including the STOP Code and all 4 parameters, will be a direct clue as
    > >> to the underlying cause of the problem. Post that information back
    > >> here if you require assistance with diagnosing this.
    > >>
    > >> Good luck
    > >>

    > >> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > >> --
    > >> Microsoft MVP
    > >> On-Line Help Computer Service
    > >> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    > >>
    > >> In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP

    Hi fad,

    Did you try doing what I had posted to Wilco? If that doesn't work let
    me know and I'll get you another tool that can help.

    Joshua Smith
    OpenGL Test Lab
    Microsoft
    -----

    "fad" <fad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello, I am having the same problem. When I try to access certain
    > websites
    > the computer shuts down. This only happens when I am trying to access
    > certain
    > websites. So the computer shuts down and I get a blue screen with a STOP
    > message:
    > STOP:0x0000000A(0x00000000,0x00000002,0x00000000,0x804ebb8bb
    >
    > Can you help in solving this problem
    >
    > thanks
    >

    > "Joshua Smith [MSFT]" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Wilco,
    >>
    >> Lets try this, we may have more luck. To determine what driver is
    >> causing the problem I need you to enable driver verifier.
    >> Steps:
    >> 1) Windows Key + R
    >> 2) Type in 'verifier' and hit enter
    >> 3) Make sure 'Create Standard Setting' is selected and hit next
    >> 4) Click on 'Select all drivers installed on this computer' and hit
    >> Finish
    >> 5) Reboot
    >>
    >> There is a possibility that your computer will crash on reboot. If this
    >> occurs hit F8 when rebooting just before the windows logo screen and
    >> select
    >> the safe mode boot option. Follow the same steps above but on step 4
    >> choose
    >> 'Select driver names from a list'; hit next; check the box next to any
    >> driver where the provider is not Microsoft; hit Finish; reboot.
    >>
    >> This will slow the performance of you computer a little while enabled but
    >> will hopefully catch the driver causing corruption. Next time you crash
    >> the blue screen will hopefully say something like
    >> "DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION". If this occurs please send the
    >> corresponding minidump (by default it is at c:\windows\Minidump ) my way.
    >> If you have any questions or I didn't explain something well enough don't
    >> hesitate to e-mail me back. Good Luck,
    >>

    >> Joshua Smith
    >> OpenGL Test Lab
    >> Microsoft
    >> -----
    >>
    >> Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

    >> rights
    >>

    >> "wilco" <wilco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Ok, did that. I get no BSOD, no errors at all. Nothing in the event
    >> > logs.
    >> > The
    >> > system just sporadically reboots, no warning, no shutdown screen, just
    >> > goes
    >> > blank for a second then starts up at the BIOS initialization screen, as
    >> > if
    >> > someone hit the reset button. It does not do this with a new
    >> > drive/fresh
    >> > install. Just with original drive with all the latest patches and
    >> > updates.
    >> > After a couple times it won't even make it to the Windows login screen.
    >> >
    >> > The drive works and is error free as a slave drive.
    >> >
    >> > Anyone else make any progress with Ron's suggestion?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,

Computers Windows XP