Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Support for Win7, Vista, XP?

Last response: in Windows 8
August 15, 2012 7:10:34 PM

What I didn't see in this forms was someone explaining or confirming if Microsoft will/won't support older OS? And to what extent, as far as Security Essentials or Windows Live?

Maybe it was posted and I didn't see it but was just wondering what they are planning on doing when Win8 is released. Since they are planning on a newer version of DirectX (12? i guess) that will only work on Win8, does that mean they will not support Win7 even?

Thanks in advance :) 

More about : support win7 vista

Best solution

a b * Windows 8
August 15, 2012 7:25:11 PM

Hi :) 

Nobody knows....

But as a Pro guess, support for ALL previous Operating systems will stay PRECISELY the same as now...

All the best Brett :) 

August 15, 2012 7:28:50 PM

OK! Thank you

I sure it will happen sooner or later :/  I just hope it is much later.
Score
Related resources
August 15, 2012 7:29:04 PM

Best answer selected by Krammuel.
Score
August 17, 2012 12:22:25 AM

MS typically supports an OS for 5 years after the release of the next OS in providing security patches and updates, but often extends that support out further of very popular OSs (like with XP), or Pro/Enterprise editions of software.

XP support will be ending very soon for home users, and in a year or two for pro users, Vista and 7 support have no date set, but you should be fine with them for a good long time coming (at least long enough to get you to win9 if you absolutely hate win8)
Score
August 17, 2012 12:27:17 AM

Krammuel said:
What I didn't see in this forms was someone explaining or confirming if Microsoft will/won't support older OS? And to what extent, as far as Security Essentials or Windows Live?

Maybe it was posted and I didn't see it but was just wondering what they are planning on doing when Win8 is released. Since they are planning on a newer version of DirectX (12? i guess) that will only work on Win8, does that mean they will not support Win7 even?

Thanks in advance :) 

The new directX is 11.1, and will only be available for win8

As a general rule of thumb, once a new OS is released they stop adding and changing features to the previous OS as incentive to get people to upgrade, but they continue to support for security patches for several years.
Score
August 17, 2012 8:48:27 PM

CaedenV said:
The new directX is 11.1, and will only be available for win8

As a general rule of thumb, once a new OS is released they stop adding and changing features to the previous OS as incentive to get people to upgrade, but they continue to support for security patches for several years.

Well I guess I was thinking when Vista came out they almost immediately stopped access to Windows Defender on XP. and I believe you can't use Windows Live on XP (that I am not sure of because I haven't used or seen XP on any ones PC that would use Live). Now I know it is still available on Vista, but isn't Vista the same as 7 but without the bugs. :pt1cable: 
Score
August 17, 2012 9:50:25 PM

You cannot compare Windows live with its predecessor. What is Windows live was a collection of programs (or their equivalent) that was built into XP, thus there was no need for it to be compatible with XP. It was simply an option for vista/7 trhat you could download at a later date. The prime example is Windows Mail, which was a successor to Outlook Express. Windows Mail is an optional dowload as part of Windows live for Vista/7 whereas Outlook express has been built into Windows since Windows 95 but removed from Vista.
Score
August 18, 2012 3:12:18 AM

Vista and 7 are extremely similar, just a different rendering engine for the interface and a few other such optimizations.

Windows8 shares a lot with 7, and most things that work in 7/vista/XP/2K/ME/98 will work just fine in win8 (either natively, or through compatibility mode)

Security Essentials (MSE) is built into win8 and is called Defender again (can't keep a good name down lol), but the 2 are largely the same program, and work from the same definition source. Defender is now always active in the background, even if you install another AV software.

Live is still around, kinda, but I think it is going to be axed shortly and be replaced by independent Metro apps for win8 which will serve the same function, but until then they current live programs work under win8 in desktop mode.

Seriously, the only things you would be missing out on is the Metro interface (which I like, but could live without), new metro apps (many of which may have web versions of as they are mostly HTML5 and Java), the and the new DX11.1 which does not add features, but does add optimizations to the old standard so that future GPUs can run DX11 more quickly. If you have a WP8 phone, then you may miss out on some neat interactions between the OS and your mobile phone... but it is yet to be seen what that will look like.
Score
August 18, 2012 3:15:29 PM

Thanks for clearing that up for me caedenv and pauls3743
Score
August 19, 2012 10:11:31 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!