nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

I'm considering buying a 1704FP monitor as part of a Dimension XPS system to
be used mainly for 3D gaming. First of all, can anyone confirm the response
time of this monitor? I've seen it quoted as 13ms and 25ms on Dell's site
and various other places online.

Is anyone using the 1704FP for fast action games? How is it in terms of
ghosting etc? How good is the picture quality at resolutions other than the
native 1280x1024?

Thanks.

bill

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 12:31:58 -0000, "Nobody" <nobody@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>I'm considering buying a 1704FP monitor as part of a Dimension XPS system to
>be used mainly for 3D gaming. First of all, can anyone confirm the response
>time of this monitor? I've seen it quoted as 13ms and 25ms on Dell's site
>and various other places online.
>
>Is anyone using the 1704FP for fast action games? How is it in terms of
>ghosting etc? How good is the picture quality at resolutions other than the
>native 1280x1024?
>
>Thanks.

I use it for one freebie game Moorhuhn. A low end, first person
hunting game. If you move scan across the sceen rapidly you can see
the back ground repaint lag noticably. That's all I can provide in
answer to your question.

"Nobody" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> I'm considering buying a 1704FP monitor as part of a Dimension XPS system
> to be used mainly for 3D gaming. First of all, can anyone confirm the
> response time of this monitor? I've seen it quoted as 13ms and 25ms on
> Dell's site and various other places online.
>
> Is anyone using the 1704FP for fast action games? How is it in terms of
> ghosting etc? How good is the picture quality at resolutions other than
> the native 1280x1024?
>
> Thanks.

I've a good friend who recently looked into this. He games (heavily, the
most demanding graphics), and just recently began doing some LAN gaming -
meaning transporting his beloved 19" Trinitron was out of the question.

So he read up on LCDs with his focus being primarily on quality of the
display and refresh specs. I don't know what model Samsung 17" he wound up
with, but it features a 12ms display and was not ridiculously expensive
(picked up at CompUSA or Circuit City so that return was an option). He was
looking at displays with no more than a 15ms response.

He's very picky and sensitive to display issues, so I was surprised to find
him exceedingly satisfied with the new LCD - even over his Trinitron. I
don't know that this is the exact model/color, but here's a link:
http://anandtech.dealtime.com/xPF-Samsung_172X

I know many of Dell's LCD displays were (and may still be, not sure)
actually re-badged Samsungs. Perhaps there is a 12ms Dell offered ...

Stew

> "Nobody" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> I'm considering buying a 1704FP monitor as part of a Dimension XPS system
>> to be used mainly for 3D gaming. First of all, can anyone confirm the
>> response time of this monitor? I've seen it quoted as 13ms and 25ms on
>> Dell's site and various other places online.
>>
>> Is anyone using the 1704FP for fast action games? How is it in terms of
>> ghosting etc? How good is the picture quality at resolutions other than
>> the native 1280x1024?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> I've a good friend who recently looked into this. He games (heavily, the
> most demanding graphics), and just recently began doing some LAN gaming -
> meaning transporting his beloved 19" Trinitron was out of the question.
>
> So he read up on LCDs with his focus being primarily on quality of the
> display and refresh specs. I don't know what model Samsung 17" he wound
> up with, but it features a 12ms display and was not ridiculously expensive
> (picked up at CompUSA or Circuit City so that return was an option). He
> was looking at displays with no more than a 15ms response.
>
> He's very picky and sensitive to display issues, so I was surprised to
> find him exceedingly satisfied with the new LCD - even over his Trinitron.
> I don't know that this is the exact model/color, but here's a link:
> http://anandtech.dealtime.com/xPF-Samsung_172X
>
> I know many of Dell's LCD displays were (and may still be, not sure)
> actually re-badged Samsungs. Perhaps there is a 12ms Dell offered ...
>

> Stew

The model he bought was a Samsung SyncMaster 712N, FWIW.

Got for $250 after rebates at Best Buy (retailed for $399).

Stew

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

>> I've a good friend who recently looked into this. He games (heavily, the
>> most demanding graphics), and just recently began doing some LAN gaming -
>> meaning transporting his beloved 19" Trinitron was out of the question.
>>
>> So he read up on LCDs with his focus being primarily on quality of the
>> display and refresh specs. I don't know what model Samsung 17" he wound
>> up with, but it features a 12ms display and was not ridiculously
>> expensive (picked up at CompUSA or Circuit City so that return was an
>> option). He was looking at displays with no more than a 15ms response.
>>
>> He's very picky and sensitive to display issues, so I was surprised to
>> find him exceedingly satisfied with the new LCD - even over his
>> Trinitron. I don't know that this is the exact model/color, but here's a
>> link: http://anandtech.dealtime.com/xPF-Samsung_172X
>>
>> I know many of Dell's LCD displays were (and may still be, not sure)
>> actually re-badged Samsungs. Perhaps there is a 12ms Dell offered ...
>
> The model he bought was a Samsung SyncMaster 712N, FWIW.

Thanks for that. I may look into getting one of those instead. I was
tempted by the Dell monitor after reading some very favourable comments
about it's 12ms response time, but it now appears that this may refer to a
slightly different model, the 1704FPT:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/1704fpt/EN/about.htm#Specifications

The monitor option for the Dimension XPS is a 1704FP and appears to have a
25ms response time (at least from everything I can see on the Dell site).

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 12:12:16 -0000, "Nobody" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:

>Thanks for that. I may look into getting one of those instead. I was
>tempted by the Dell monitor after reading some very favourable comments
>about it's 12ms response time, but it now appears that this may refer to a
>slightly different model, the 1704FPT:
>
>http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/1704fpt/EN/about.htm#Specifications
>
>The monitor option for the Dimension XPS is a 1704FP and appears to have a
>25ms response time (at least from everything I can see on the Dell site).

My wife just bought a Dimension 4700 and I convinced her to get the 1704FPT
monitor. It's a VERY nice monitor!
--
<<<SgtRich>>>

Desktop: Dell Dimension 8400
Notebook: Dell Inspiron 8600
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on both

"SgtRich" <UseNewsgroup@NotEmail.invalid> wrote in message
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 12:12:16 -0000, "Nobody" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:
>

>>Thanks for that. I may look into getting one of those instead. I was
>>tempted by the Dell monitor after reading some very favourable comments
>>about it's 12ms response time, but it now appears that this may refer to a
>>slightly different model, the 1704FPT:
>>
>>http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/1704fpt/EN/about.htm#Specifications
>>
>>The monitor option for the Dimension XPS is a 1704FP and appears to have a
>>25ms response time (at least from everything I can see on the Dell site).
>>
> My wife just bought a Dimension 4700 and I convinced her to get the
> 1704FPT
> monitor. It's a VERY nice monitor!
> --
> <<<SgtRich>>>
>
> Desktop: Dell Dimension 8400
> Notebook: Dell Inspiron 8600
> Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on both

And if he's getting system warranty beyond the default 1 year, it would
also apply to his Dell monitor bought with the system.

He needs to read up.....

Stew

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

"SgtRich" <UseNewsgroup@NotEmail.invalid> wrote in message
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 12:12:16 -0000, "Nobody" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:
>

>>Thanks for that. I may look into getting one of those instead. I was
>>tempted by the Dell monitor after reading some very favourable comments
>>about it's 12ms response time, but it now appears that this may refer to a
>>slightly different model, the 1704FPT:
>>
>>http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/1704fpt/EN/about.htm#Specifications
>>
>>The monitor option for the Dimension XPS is a 1704FP and appears to have a
>>25ms response time (at least from everything I can see on the Dell site).
>>
> My wife just bought a Dimension 4700 and I convinced her to get the
> 1704FPT
> monitor. It's a VERY nice monitor!

It looks really good from the specs. Does she use it in resolutions other
than 1280x1024?

I probably should have mentioned before that I'm in the UK. I notice that
the Dimension XPS on the US site does come with the FPT version, but I'm
having trouble finding out if it's available in the UK.

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:26:41 -0000, "Nobody" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:

>"SgtRich" <UseNewsgroup@NotEmail.invalid> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 12:12:16 -0000, "Nobody" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>Thanks for that. I may look into getting one of those instead. I was
>>>tempted by the Dell monitor after reading some very favourable comments
>>>about it's 12ms response time, but it now appears that this may refer to a
>>>slightly different model, the 1704FPT:
>>>
>>>http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/1704fpt/EN/about.htm#Specifications
>>>
>>>The monitor option for the Dimension XPS is a 1704FP and appears to have a
>>>25ms response time (at least from everything I can see on the Dell site).
>>>
>> My wife just bought a Dimension 4700 and I convinced her to get the
>> 1704FPT monitor. It's a VERY nice monitor!
>
>It looks really good from the specs. Does she use it in resolutions other
>than 1280x1024?

Actually, she uses it in 1024 x 768, right now and it's a great "picture".