Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Endless reboot cycle

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
April 5, 2005 11:27:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi there, I am troubleshooting a WinXP PC that is in an endless reboot cycle.
After powering down then powering back up it will get as far as the login
screen for Windows, then reboot, no warning, just blank screen then a
complete restart. After a few automatic restarts it will not even make it
that far, with shorter and shorter intervals between reboots. I have tried
another drive in the PC to make sure it was not a powersupply/motherboard/ram
issue, and the other drive works fine. I installed the original system drive
as a secondary drive, and can see all the data and have run basic diagnostics
with no bad sectors detected.

I get absolutely no errors and nothing in the event log. It is just stuck in
an endless reboot cycle. Has anyone seen this before? Is there a virus out
there doing something like this?

Thank you!

More about : endless reboot cycle

April 5, 2005 11:33:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Oh, also, it does the same thing in Safemode and even in Recovery Mode via
the XP CD.

"wilco" wrote:

> Hi there, I am troubleshooting a WinXP PC that is in an endless reboot cycle.
> After powering down then powering back up it will get as far as the login
> screen for Windows, then reboot, no warning, just blank screen then a
> complete restart. After a few automatic restarts it will not even make it
> that far, with shorter and shorter intervals between reboots. I have tried
> another drive in the PC to make sure it was not a powersupply/motherboard/ram
> issue, and the other drive works fine. I installed the original system drive
> as a secondary drive, and can see all the data and have run basic diagnostics
> with no bad sectors detected.
>
> I get absolutely no errors and nothing in the event log. It is just stuck in
> an endless reboot cycle. Has anyone seen this before? Is there a virus out
> there doing something like this?
>
> Thank you!
>
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 8:34:49 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hello Wilco,

I have experienced this once .... My harddisk was too full. So Windows
XP could not create a swapfile which was big enough.

I did like you did and inserted the harddisk in another computer and
cleaned up - then I could start and uninstall unwanted things.

Anyway it caused the endless loop.

Regards Leif.


On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 19:27:02 -0700, "wilco"
<wilco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi there, I am troubleshooting a WinXP PC that is in an endless reboot cycle.
Related resources
April 6, 2005 8:34:50 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I wish it were that simple! Been working on it all day, I have 28% free on
the disk (5GB) and only 512mb RAM so 5gb should be enough for the swap file.
I'll keep working it...

"Leif Nordmand Andersen" wrote:

> Hello Wilco,
>
> I have experienced this once .... My harddisk was too full. So Windows
> XP could not create a swapfile which was big enough.
>
> I did like you did and inserted the harddisk in another computer and
> cleaned up - then I could start and uninstall unwanted things.
>
> Anyway it caused the endless loop.
>
> Regards Leif.
>
>
> On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 19:27:02 -0700, "wilco"
> <wilco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi there, I am troubleshooting a WinXP PC that is in an endless reboot cycle.
>
>
April 18, 2005 7:46:15 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

i just had that same problem. mine started doing it after the latest
windows update. the only way i found to fix it was to reinstall windows
using repair option. that will get you inside windows ONCE, but once
is enough to uninstall the last update you've had. good luck
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 1:36:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"dima" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support:
>i just had that same problem. mine started doing it after the latest

The same problem a WHAT? yours started doing WHAT?

Please quote enough context that we can figure out what the heck
you're talking about (not the same as quoting the entire article).
Even in Google Groups, it can be done -- select Options.

--

Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Anonymous
July 29, 2009 1:00:54 AM

I am getting this exact same problem now in 2009 on an xp machine. It even reboots before the xp cd loads up when i choose to boot to cd.

Was a solution ever found?
May 2, 2010 4:41:35 PM

Windows 7 Machine, 4 gigs of ram, pentium core 2 duo. I just got 2 new monitors and now my computer gets in to a constant reboot when I start it up. I've managed to get through to boot up once, but now I cannot again. I dont even see the windows loading screen, I cannot go to the boot menu either.
!