Keyboard problems

April 6, 2005 1:06:54 AM

My neighbor's computer keyboard stopped working. It is a basic Dell PS2
keyboard
I checked the connections and they appear okay. Light come on during POST,
but not after windows starts.
The Device Manager reports the keyboard to be working fine.
I replaced the problem keyboard with one I have on a second machine, and
know to be working, but it does not work either.
I removed the keyboard in the Device Manager and rebooted. Still neither
keyboard would work.
I plugged in USB keyboard I have and the computer recognized the new
hardware and said it was working. However you still can not type anything.

I tried the computer in safe mode, still no keyboard function.
I then did a Repair Installation from the Dell Disks.
Note. The keyboard works OKAY prior to windows being loaded and so we are
able to get to the repair installation commands or safe mode startup menu.

However, after the repair installation, again none of the keyboards would
type anything to the computer.

Any other suggestions before we do a Full Installation and start over with
all the software, setup, etc.
We do have all the personal data backed up on CDs.

The computer is a Dell 2350 running Windows XP SP2.
Mouse and keyboard are PS2 connections.

More about : keyboard problems

Anonymous
April 7, 2005 12:17:11 AM

Have you checked the Dell page for troubleshooting?
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...

"Richard Goh" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> My neighbor's computer keyboard stopped working. It is a basic Dell PS2 keyboard
> I checked the connections and they appear okay. Light come on during POST, but not
> after windows starts.
> The Device Manager reports the keyboard to be working fine.
> I replaced the problem keyboard with one I have on a second machine, and know to be
> working, but it does not work either.
> I removed the keyboard in the Device Manager and rebooted. Still neither keyboard
> would work.
> I plugged in USB keyboard I have and the computer recognized the new hardware and
> said it was working. However you still can not type anything.
>
> I tried the computer in safe mode, still no keyboard function.
> I then did a Repair Installation from the Dell Disks.
> Note. The keyboard works OKAY prior to windows being loaded and so we are able to
> get to the repair installation commands or safe mode startup menu.
>
> However, after the repair installation, again none of the keyboards would type
> anything to the computer.
>
> Any other suggestions before we do a Full Installation and start over with all the
> software, setup, etc.
> We do have all the personal data backed up on CDs.
>
> The computer is a Dell 2350 running Windows XP SP2.
> Mouse and keyboard are PS2 connections.

Anonymous
April 7, 2005 12:17:12 AM

Thank you for the reference to Dell, but this reference assumes the
connector is loose or damages. We have confirmed that this is not the case.
The keyboards work up to the time when Windows starts.

news:o FTfOHpOFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

!