Install WinXP Pro using OEM CD from another machine?

Hi All,

I have a Dell desktop PC and a Dell Laptop PC, both of which came with
OEM versions of WindowsXP Pro.

The hard-drive on my desktop crashed a few days ago, and I am about to
purchase a replacement for it. I haven't been able to find the OEM
WinXP Pro CD that came with my desktop, however I do still have the
OEM WinXP Pro CD that came with my laptop.

I do still have the registration key for the WinXP Pro installation
that was on my desktop, and I'm wondering if it's possible to use the
CD that came with my laptop but supply the registration key that came
with my desktop, to install WinXP Pro on the new hard-drive?

In essence, I'm hoping I can save myself the cost of buying another
copy of WinXP Pro, since the installation on the desktop has now been
destroyed.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible, or are registration keys tied
to specific installation CDs?

Any help appreciated,

Regards,

M Wells

My guess is they will work.
But the CDs may be different.
If they are different, there may be problems.
Compare the invoices or other documentation with each computer to help
determine if they were the same as shipped.
Otherwise you should contact Dell, they are the experts on their CDs.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"M Wells" <planetthoughtful@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I have a Dell desktop PC and a Dell Laptop PC, both of which came with
> OEM versions of WindowsXP Pro.
>
> The hard-drive on my desktop crashed a few days ago, and I am about to
> purchase a replacement for it. I haven't been able to find the OEM
> WinXP Pro CD that came with my desktop, however I do still have the
> OEM WinXP Pro CD that came with my laptop.
>
> I do still have the registration key for the WinXP Pro installation
> that was on my desktop, and I'm wondering if it's possible to use the
> CD that came with my laptop but supply the registration key that came
> with my desktop, to install WinXP Pro on the new hard-drive?
>
> In essence, I'm hoping I can save myself the cost of buying another
> copy of WinXP Pro, since the installation on the desktop has now been
> destroyed.
>
> Can anyone tell me if this is possible, or are registration keys tied
> to specific installation CDs?
>
> Any help appreciated,
>
> Regards,
>
> M Wells