128MB vs 256MB

Drake77

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2004
Does anyone know of any benchmarks to read on 128MB vs 256MB Radeon 9600XT? I can buy one of these two cards using PriceWatch.com for 154.00 vs 192.00 with shipping! That's only 38 dollars more for double the Memory. But, does this 9600XT utilize this RAM, or is it just a selling feature.

Next Question, I also see I can get a Radeon 9700 128MB for 192.00. BUT, I heard that these video cards are kind of loud. Is this true? I try really hard to keep my computer quiet. So, does anyone know where to find any db readings on ATI cards? I wish all hardware reviews threw in db readings (even on video cards).

All help is much appreciated!!

Oh Lord, Bless this thy holy hand gernade of Antiok, so that it may blow thy enemy to tiny bits.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Both of these use somewhat noisy fans. 256MB isn't used by current games. In fact, 64MB is enough for most games, 128MB seems ideal to keep you up to speed for a couple years.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Not worth extra money for the RAM, the R9600XT doesn't have the power to make much use of that ram. It's nice for very large resolutions, but it's so hobbled by 128bit memory that even should you 'require' it, you wouldn't have quick enough access to it to make any difference.

And the R9700 would beat either R9600XT hands down. So you choices really are an R9600XT with 128mb for less money or the R9700 for more money. I'd say if you've got it and are willing to pay for it, get the R9700.

If the noise level is not major, then very few people care about the noise, if you do you can always go passive cooling. But LARS did post audio files including that of an R9700PRO, in <A HREF="http://www20.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030127/geforce_fx-06.html" target="_new">his review</A>.
Personally I (and many others here last time we checked) would prefer power and heat information since that has a greater effect on other components and things like power consumption you really can't control (and seems to cause more problems).

Remember though that even the R9600XT has a noticeable cooler (either a little & high pitched, or a large volume big fan that makes a bit of noise). Still they are generally quieter than the competition. Only when you get to the top end cards does it become a SERIOUS issue. And there there is no winner IMO (reviews sites have shown both the FX5950U AND the R9800XT as louder than each other and their predecessors). However nothing comes even close to the FX5800U the king of noisy <A HREF="http://" target="_new">LOOK at the LOGO</A> at the top of this page of the review.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Drake77

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2004
Thanks for the help guys! I guess now I just need to decide between the 9600XT for 150ish or the 9700 for 200ish. Im leaning towards paying the extra 50 dollars for the 9700 for the extra performance, but if the 9700 is a lot louder then the 9600XT, I'd rather go with the XT.

Does anyone out there know if there is a noticable difference in noise made by these two video cards? The reason I ask, is because I have gone out of my way to buy 4 Silent Case fans, Silent Power Supply, and Silent Processor Cooler. I like extra frames and all that, but I really enjoy not noticing my computer is turned on.

Oh Lord, Bless this thy holy hand gernade of Antiok, so that it may blow thy enemy to tiny bits.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Before you buy check out the vendor using resellerratings.com

georgebeee

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2003
I think the 9700 runs hotter than the 9600xt, which I am currently using by the way. and the fan on my xt rarely if ever runs, but it does make some noise when it does.

I would think the fan on the 9700 would run considerably more as the 9600xt is considered to be a cool running card.
just something you might wanna consider. the other fellas here prolly know more about this than I do though

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I've heard of a passively cooled 9800XT (or maybe it was Pro), either way, getting a hi-po card that is silent is definitely possible.

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
You could buy it then if it was too loud you could always get a zalman pssive cooler, which would produce no noise at all.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6752830" target="_new">Yay, I Finally broke the 12k barrier!!</A>

The Silent R9600/9700/9800s are a premium product by Sapphire (Ultimate Edition) and may be a little more expensive.

From my experience with the R9600Pro I don't notice it over my other fans which are all whisper fans (including PSU) in fact recently I notice more the chipset fan than anything else. I have a case blowhole fan right over the AGP slot so that may help disrupt the sound eminating from the case.

The R9700 would likely be louder, but lower, than the R9600Pro, to som e the slightly higher pitched fan is more noticeable. Personally I think it's a matter of taste. I think neither will really be THAT noticeable, but then again I'm not you.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Yeah it's really a matter of taste, some people want a PC as quiet as a G4 cube (I still like those), and any noise is unacceptable. But to most it'll be very minor if anything.

Funny thing is I have a video equiped review that portrays the R9800XT as louder than the FX5950U. But then again I also have reviews that say the opposite, so it's really a matter of taste IMO.