radeon 9800 pro 128mb on a 300 watt psu ???

djporter

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2004
Will the radeon 9800 pro 128mb card run okay on a 300 watt PSU with a number of other components installed eg dvd writer dvd rom drive hard drive and floopy disk ???
i know ati recommends 300 watt or higher but this is borderline i was wondering if anyone has this set up or expeiriance with this issue? also would newer rumoured unreleased graphics cards from ATI or Nvidia require more power or the same as the current ones available???

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
As a general rule of thumb, the more powerful the graphics card, the more power it will require. So yes, I would say that next generation cards will require more power.

As for the 300W PSU, if I were you I would upgrade to a TruePower 430W, just to be on the safe side. 300W is pretty borderline, especially if you have case fans and lots of other stuff, such as DVD drives.

Spec:
Intel P4 2.4B
MSI 645E Max-U Mobo
512MB DDR333
GF3 ti200 64MB
SB Live 5.1
WD 60GB
Maxtor 120GB
LG 24x24x32 CDR
WIN2K PRo SP4

cleeve

Illustrious
If it's a 300w premium name brand (antec, etc.) you might get away with it.

Otherwise, it'll likely work, but be a source of system instability...

Depnds on what else is this 'number of other components', but from the sounds of things it would be tight even with a good brand name 300W PSU, and if it's generic cheap 300W psu, you can almost bank on having problems.

EDIT: Since there are so many Antec suggestions let me just add a nice Enermax, PcPower&Cooling and Fortron as other great PCU makers.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheGreatGrapeApe on 01/14/04 02:15 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

shadus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
Depends on the brand. A good 300 might. Most won't run well with it. Just get yerself a nice antec true550... runs bout $100 and you won't need to worry about it :)

<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/html/shadus.html" target="_new">Shadus</A>

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
I have an idea on my mind that I would like everyone thoughts.

I have a 300W PSU. CD-RW, DVD, 2 fans, XP1700@1900, Webcam, NIC, floopy disc. I am a little scared of upgrading my current GF3Ti500, but I have lying around some old AT 150-200W PSU.

Project :wink:
- "Attach" outside the case the old AT PSU.
- Connect DVD, CD-RW and fan to this PSU.
- Connect the extra power of a 9700/9800 to this PSU also.

Some questions ...
- The old PSU is enough for DVD, CD-RW, fan and GPU? Think that does not supply energy to any other component (memory, CPU, mobo, NIC, etc.)
- This will help the PSU's case? IIRC at least 2 rails are usually combined, so taking out all the power needed by these devices may help.

Any ideas? Crazy? Not worth? (could be, but funny?)

Still looking for a <b>good online retailer</b> in Spain :frown:

cleeve

Illustrious
In theory, it sounds good.

I don't know anyone whose tried it, though.

djporter

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2004
hey thanks for the info, slight problem i would upgrade the PSU at the drop of a hat howevr i have a sony vaio rz the psu is a little compact im sure i could find one to fit the current one is 10 cm depth by 15cm wide any ideas ?? and the idea of linking to a seperate PSU out side the case i also thought might work , in theory it works as its only supply power! the computer wouldnt know if u were using one or 10 PSUs

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I had a 9800 Pro running fine on a 350watt Enermax. I dont think a quality 300watt should have a problem unless you have something approaching a server setup as far as devices is concerned.

From what you listed, if the PSU is high quality you wont have a problem. Sounds like you have a typical system compared to most.

Make sure you give the GPU more power to the AGP voltage, set it at 1.7v otherwise it wont matter how good your PSU is.
I had power related issues until I made that change with my Radeons.

----
Yeah, thats right. I support the NV/AMD/IBM axis of evil.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Its in your bios. Should say something like "AGP Voltage Regulator"
some boards do it automatically I believe (if its not in there).

----
Yeah, thats right. I support the NV/AMD/IBM axis of evil.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That's a very stupid suggestion when the Fortron 530W unit puts out MORE power than the True Power 550W, and cost around $70.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

svend

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2003
If you do that type of jury rigging, just make sure your power supplies are well grounded together, or you'll just might end up with a floating ground, with a floating ground you'll have some interesting logic problems

when all is said and done, what you've done for your neighbor is most important