sp2 and older monitors

since sp2 came out i have noticed that older monitors, even one's that have a
resolution that go beyond 1000x700 do not work they stay in stand by mode
even though they work fine with sp1
i have tested numerous configurations to try to find out why this occurs
but still
have not found the reason. if i unplug a non working monitor with a new
monitor the desktop shows and i can alter configs and retry.
i have used monitors from 1997 to late 2003.
i have found that 99% of monitors made after august 2003 work fine.
now i like sp2 and all its new updates but im not prepared to spend out on
a new monitor especially when i use 21" and 25" monitors
some conclusions
1 its not my video card(ati 9200)
2 its not bios settings
3 its not always monitors (really old monitors that dont go more than
800x600 resolution dont work)or monitor drivers
4 its not mother boards or settings(msi 6777 64 bit AMD)
5 it is down to something in sp2 that microsoft need to look at and correct
these are only my conclusions and i hope that microsft will put some effort
into finding the answer as a free download of sp2 can be expensive to some
people

thanks.

You should get the latest drives and files from your graphic card and your
monitor.
This freeware will identify your right settings to download
http://www.lavalys.com/