Defective Media Center Edition cd.. Can anyone help?

Hi,

I have a Dell labeled Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 cd that i got
with my system.
A few days ago i wanted to reinstall the whole thing, but after a few
minutes into install it failed because the cd was unreadible.

I tried again and again, but no luck.
So i decided to install my copy of Windows XP Home for now.

I called and emailed Dell, but they refuse to send me a new cd... I called
many times, but they will not send it.

Because i just want a Dell version of MCE2005 (i have a Dell licence and key
for that) i won't install a regular OEM copy.
But, if someone could supply me with the files that i need to make a regular
OEM copy to a Dell copy -that doesn't need a key and activation on a Dell-
that would be great.
That way i could just use those files (about 12mb) on a regular OEM copy of
a friend..
I hope someone could help me out and could upload the needed files to my
Streamload account:
http://www.streamload.com/Roots/Upload.asp?username=allegro16&UsernameSubmitted=true&submit=Go%21

Thanks,

Allegro.

The files i need from the Dell labeled MCE2005 cd:

-------- The needed files ---------
In folder \I386:
DPCDLL.DL_
EULA.TXT
NT5INF.CA_
OEMBIOS.BI_
OEMBIOS.CA_
OEMBIOS.DA_
OEMBIOS.SI_
PIDGEN.DLL
SETUPP.INI
SETUPREG.HIV
UNATTEND.TXT
WINNT.SIF

In folder I386\WIN9XUPG:
WIN95UPG.INF

Then you could archive it with Winzip or WinRar.

You could create a batchfile that copies the needed files, from in my case
the G: drive (cd-rom) to the folder C:\XPbios.

Copy and paste this to a new txtfile (notepad) :

@ECHO OFF
:START
MKDIR C:\XPbios
MKDIR C:\XPbios\WIN9XUPG
COPY G:\I386\DPCDLL.DL_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\EULA.TXT "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\NT5INF.CA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.BI_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.CA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.DA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.SI_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\PIDGEN.DLL "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\SETUPP.INI "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\SETUPREG.HIV "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\WIN9XUPG\WIN95UPG.INF "C:\XPbios\WIN9XUPG\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\UNATTEND.TXT "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\WINNT.SIF "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V

Save as for instance XPbios.bat -you may have to edit location of cd and
folder-, then save it and double cick it..

On C:\ there is a new folder created called XPbios with the needed files,
you can now use WinZip or WinRar and upload it to
http://www.streamload.com/Roots/Upload.asp?username=allegro16&UsernameSubmitted=true&submit=Go%21
4 answers Last reply
More about defective media center edition help

    Nice try..... If you have a Dell branded Windows XP Media Center Edition
    2005 CD that came with your Dell and if the Dell is registered to you, they
    will replace your CD.

    "allegro" <allegro@flevonet.nl> wrote in message
> [...]
    > MKDIR C:\XPbios\WIN9XUPG
    > COPY G:\I386\DPCDLL.DL_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    > COPY G:\I386\EULA.TXT "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    > COPY G:\I386\NT5INF.CA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    > COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.BI_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    > COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.CA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    > COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.DA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    > COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.SI_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    > COPY G:\I386\PIDGEN.DLL "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    > COPY G:\I386\SETUPP.INI "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    > COPY G:\I386\SETUPREG.HIV "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    > COPY G:\I386\WIN9XUPG\WIN95UPG.INF "C:\XPbios\WIN9XUPG\" /Y /V
    > COPY G:\I386\UNATTEND.TXT "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    > COPY G:\I386\WINNT.SIF "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    >
    > Save as for instance XPbios.bat -you may have to edit location of cd and
    > folder-, then save it and double cick it..
    >
    > On C:\ there is a new folder created called XPbios with the needed files,
    > you can now use WinZip or WinRar and upload it to

    Have you tried making a copy of your Dell CD? I have done this sometimes,
    and it might just work. If not, have you checked to see if these files are
    the same as regular WinXP files??

> [...]
    > MKDIR C:\XPbios\WIN9XUPG
    > COPY G:\I386\DPCDLL.DL_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    > COPY G:\I386\EULA.TXT "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    > COPY G:\I386\NT5INF.CA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    > COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.BI_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    > COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.CA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    > COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.DA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    > COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.SI_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    > COPY G:\I386\PIDGEN.DLL "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    > COPY G:\I386\SETUPP.INI "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    > COPY G:\I386\SETUPREG.HIV "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    > COPY G:\I386\WIN9XUPG\WIN95UPG.INF "C:\XPbios\WIN9XUPG\" /Y /V
    > COPY G:\I386\UNATTEND.TXT "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    > COPY G:\I386\WINNT.SIF "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    >
    > Save as for instance XPbios.bat -you may have to edit location of cd and
    > folder-, then save it and double cick it..
    >
    > On C:\ there is a new folder created called XPbios with the needed files,
    > you can now use WinZip or WinRar and upload it to

    Well, i do have a Dell branded cd and they will not replace it.
    Maybe they should but i can't get them to send me one..
    They only offerred me to buy a new copy.. While i have a licence and key
    here.
    All i need is a working cd or the needed files and i'm good to go.

    I don't know why Dell doesn't want to send a new one, but maybe that's an
    issue with the Dutch Dell department.

    All i know is, i got the best help in this group in the past so if someone
    could spare a few minutes of their time..

    Thanks,

    Allegro.

    "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
> [...]
    >> MKDIR C:\XPbios\WIN9XUPG
    >> COPY G:\I386\DPCDLL.DL_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    >> COPY G:\I386\EULA.TXT "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    >> COPY G:\I386\NT5INF.CA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    >> COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.BI_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    >> COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.CA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    >> COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.DA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    >> COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.SI_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    >> COPY G:\I386\PIDGEN.DLL "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    >> COPY G:\I386\SETUPP.INI "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    >> COPY G:\I386\SETUPREG.HIV "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    >> COPY G:\I386\WIN9XUPG\WIN95UPG.INF "C:\XPbios\WIN9XUPG\" /Y /V
    >> COPY G:\I386\UNATTEND.TXT "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    >> COPY G:\I386\WINNT.SIF "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    >>
    >> Save as for instance XPbios.bat -you may have to edit location of cd and
    >> folder-, then save it and double cick it..
    >>
    >> On C:\ there is a new folder created called XPbios with the needed files,
    >> you can now use WinZip or WinRar and upload it to

    Yes i checked the cd with a few cd/dvd recovery tools.
    About 40 % of the disc is not readible.. That's a lot..

    So if someone could help me out with this..
    I know, asking to post the full cd is too much, so i only ask for the needed
    files.. That way i could combine those files with a regular OEM copy from a
    friend.

    I had good results earlier with a defective XP Home cd from my other Dell.
    Just used an regular copy (Dutch) and got the needed files (those were UK,
    but that's OK) from a friend.
    Just installed smoothly, no key no activation.

    Thanks.

    Allegro.

    "guess" <imnot@home.com> schreef in bericht news:1107017168.14912@news...

Dell Media Center CD-Rom Computers