"Blank" MSCONFIG/START-UP Program

When I open Start-up in MSCONFIG I see a "checked box" but there is NO name
for the program under "Start-up Item" or "Command" column. The "Location"
for this "blank" program is SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windos\CurrentVersion\Run

I have scanned my entire system for viruses, hijackers, adware and spyware
and found NONE of these.

What is this "blank" program? How do I get rid of it? I have already
un-checked the box so it won't run at start-up but I want to get rid of it if
I don't need it.

Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about blank msconfig start program

    Apparently, if there is no path, or maybe an incorrect path, in Value
    Data,
    the item shows up blank in msconfig | Startup. Also if Default under
    Data
    is blank (nothing there at all) instead of (value not set).

    Start | Run | Type: regedit | OK |
    Navigate to >>

    What do you see in the right hand pane?
    Do you see an entry with blank (nothing there at all) in the Data
    column?

    Start | Run | Type: regedit | OK |
    Navigate to >>

    What do you see in the right hand pane?
    Do you see an entry with blank (nothing there at all) in the Data
    column?

    From StartMan HELP:
    [[An orphan is a startup item that has a non-existent target file.

    How do they occur?

    They primarily occur because you've disabled a startup and then, at a
    later
    date, uninstalled the program that uses it. The uninstaller won't know
    about the disabled startup so it gets left behind. And if the
    uninstaller
    deletes the target file then the startup becomes an orphan. Orphans can
    also
    occur if you rename or move the target file elsewhere. Where an orphan
    is
    also enabled you may see missing file reports at startup. In the case of
    menu startups (shortcuts), the shell will attempt to resolve the target
    by a
    brute-force search for the file based upon the information stored in the
    shortcut.

    How do I avoid creating orphans when uninstalling software?

    Firstly, before uninstalling any software, ensure all its startups are
    enabled with StartMan. This ensures all its startups can be located.
    Next,
    use the program's own options to disable or remove the startups - if
    that is
    an option. Finally, uninstall the software. All things being equal, the
    startups should be gone, along with the software that used them. If
    not...]]

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:508C37EA-9A3A-41EB-BF1C-E0E4D5DB4913@microsoft.com,
    Dummie <mwmcmichael@yahoo.com.nospam> hunted and pecked:
    > When I open Start-up in MSCONFIG I see a "checked box" but there is
    > NO name for the program under "Start-up Item" or "Command" column.
    > The "Location" for this "blank" program is
    > SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windos\CurrentVersion\Run
    >
    > I have scanned my entire system for viruses, hijackers, adware and
    > spyware and found NONE of these.
    >
    > What is this "blank" program? How do I get rid of it? I have already
    > un-checked the box so it won't run at start-up but I want to get rid
    > of it if I don't need it.
    >
    > Thanks

    Just becouse it's blank doesn't make it a junk file, it can be useful.

    http://www.sysinternals.com, get Autoruns (freeware that get's you a better
    discription than msconfig autostart box

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> [...]
    > startups should be gone, along with the software that used them. If
    > not...]]
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:508C37EA-9A3A-41EB-BF1C-E0E4D5DB4913@microsoft.com,
    > Dummie <mwmcmichael@yahoo.com.nospam> hunted and pecked:
    > > When I open Start-up in MSCONFIG I see a "checked box" but there is
    > > NO name for the program under "Start-up Item" or "Command" column.
    > > The "Location" for this "blank" program is
    > > SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windos\CurrentVersion\Run
    > >
    > > I have scanned my entire system for viruses, hijackers, adware and
    > > spyware and found NONE of these.
    > >
    > > What is this "blank" program? How do I get rid of it? I have already
    > > un-checked the box so it won't run at start-up but I want to get rid

    Hi Dummie,

    Open Regedit.exe and navigate to:

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupfolder]

    Backup the keys / Locate the blank entry and delete it from there.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Dummie" <mwmcmichael@yahoo.com.nospam> wrote in message
    > When I open Start-up in MSCONFIG I see a "checked box" but there is NO
    > name
    > for the program under "Start-up Item" or "Command" column. The "Location"
    > for this "blank" program is SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windos\CurrentVersion\Run
    >
    > I have scanned my entire system for viruses, hijackers, adware and spyware
    > and found NONE of these.
    >
    > What is this "blank" program? How do I get rid of it? I have already
    > un-checked the box so it won't run at start-up but I want to get rid of it
    > if
    > I don't need it.
    >
    > Thanks

Microsoft Msconfig Windows XP