Sign in with
Your question

-IMPORTANT- About new boards and old AGP cards

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 15, 2004 2:25:01 PM

PLEASE NEED HELP!
im from argentina and i've just bought a BIOSTAR U8668-D board for Intel..... And the vendor told me to NOT PUT old cards on the AGP Port because it can Burn the motherboard.... I hav an Evilking VooDoo 3 16mb AGP.....
Is that true?
please i need to know.....
January 15, 2004 7:24:58 PM

Yes my friend i am afraid this is true.The new motherboards have 1,5V AGP slot and the old video cards requires 3,3V AGP slot to run.So be careful and i think you should not put this Voodoo 3 to your new motherboard.
a b U Graphics card
January 15, 2004 7:29:27 PM

I fail to see how this is "-IMPORTANT-".

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 
Related resources
January 15, 2004 7:52:30 PM

Ok..I see that new mb and old agp might not work.. BUT what about an old mb and new agp? Provided it meets spec of mb?

I have an asus p2b w/pii 400. The mb has a 2x agp port. Now I'm trying to extend the use of my existing system until I can afford a new one. So I purchased an asus agp 7100 vid card which is 4x, 2x, 1x compatible. Do you think there will be a problem? Computer store tech says probably not. To make a long story short...I went thru (2) pci powercolor/ati vid cards in the last (2) days. For some reason after about 15min to 2 hrs I get verticle lines on the mon. Reboot will fix it but only for a short while. Computer store tech said that the ati card is probably not compatible w/ the old p2b mb.
My existing agp card is matrox 2x g400. It has never missed a beat but only has 16mb mem.
I haven't installed the new card yet thinking maybe my power supply is causing problems...
What do you think?
Sorry for long winded post!

charly
a b U Graphics card
January 16, 2004 1:42:01 AM

I already answered your other post, and card except the 9600 series.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
January 16, 2004 2:20:32 AM

Sorry man...I did the forbidden cross post thing...
January 16, 2004 3:58:26 AM

Is that sarcastic? Obviously, he doesnt want to plug that video card in if it will bust his motherboard, and he wants to use his computer.

Anxiously awaiting prescott....is it here yet?
a b U Graphics card
January 16, 2004 3:54:23 PM

No. <b>OBVIOUSLY</b> it is not Important!

He may think it so, but if he researched he could answer the question himself. Coming off as a warning to others you write <b><font color=red>*Im-Pucking-Fortant*</font color=red></b>!, not if you just can't be bothered to do some research.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 
January 16, 2004 9:58:06 PM

Do you think a computer not working is not important? Your post was about not seeing why it was important. He didn't want to ruin his computer. That is important. I never said anything about research, BUT, we dont know if he did research or not.

Anxiously awaiting prescott....is it here yet?
!