Is 3-monitor gaming in Nvidia/ATI's future??

wazooda

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
As monitor prices continue to plummet, one would hope that either Nvidia or ATI would offer a product with the Surround Gaming features (i.e. 3 monitor gameplay) of the horribly slow Matrox Parhelia.

Any word on this?

If not... any way to do it without a Parhelia?

Thanks!

Wazoo

I'd answer you but you insulted the Parhelia so... No Soup for You! :mad:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

wazooda

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
ROTFL!! Good one.

Okay... my apologies. However.... the comparison on Tom's site for end of year roundup has the Parhelia pretty low...

I'm huge into the concept of triple head gaming.... but it seems that Matrox has pretty much dropped gaming support...

afterdark

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2003
Matrox seems to be a company that refuses to die, so they just might come out with another card for 3 monitor gaming.

And no, I don't believe that triple monitor gaming is on the agendas of either of the big two graphics card companies. Most people don't use the existing dual monitor support.

This issue has been brought up at several ATI and nV 'chat sessions', and even up until 2 weeks ago, neither team had any comitted interest in adopting the feature to their products/drivers.

Also don't expect another 3D gaming card from Matrox, they let go their gaming relations people. Their focus is mainly 2D now, and light 3D. They may have a new 3D card, but it would likely be for 3D workstation work.

For the short term I don't expect anyone to adopt it. It's a great idea, and works well with many games (especially Morrowind IMO), but really the main focus for the next little while will be the next gen cards, and making them work, and squeezing all they can out of those. Towards the end of that cycle I would expect the 'extras' to come, just like the shader effects came for ATI. I would think PCI-EX would play well to this technology, but we shall see.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
who needs 3 monitors when u can have this
<A HREF="http://www.go-l.com/monitors/grand_canyon/architecture/index.htm" target="_new">http://www.go-l.com/monitors/grand_canyon/architecture/index.htm</A>

NVIDIA Quadro® NVS series seems to support it

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy
FX5700Ultra, the next Ti4200? seems so