Help:Desktop icons gone missing

April 6, 2005 7:03:35 PM

Hi
I am trying to help a friend with an XP home system that has lost all of the
icons/shortcuts on the desktop.

I have right clicked and enabled the show desktop icons option. This has
brought back the core icons (My computer etc. ) but I can't seem to be able
to restore the shortcuts that he had.

System Restore points don't seem to help either

Any ideas?
Thanks

More about : desktop icons missing

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 7:03:36 PM

Long shot, but had the same issue today - chap had moved the icons off the
screen! Only realised when we modified the 'arrange icons' by name; low and
behold, they all reappeared.

Alternatively, right click on Start, select Properties, select Taskbar. At
bottom you will see Hide Inactive icons and a Customise button... deselect
and see if it works.

"NikkJ" wrote:

> Hi
> I am trying to help a friend with an XP home system that has lost all of the
> icons/shortcuts on the desktop.
>
> I have right clicked and enabled the show desktop icons option. This has
> brought back the core icons (My computer etc. ) but I can't seem to be able
> to restore the shortcuts that he had.
>
> System Restore points don't seem to help either
>
> Any ideas?
> Thanks

Anonymous
April 7, 2005 7:52:28 AM

Are you logged in with the same profile/Username? That might be it
"NikkJ" <nikkjathome> wrote in message
> Hi
> I am trying to help a friend with an XP home system that has lost all of
the
> icons/shortcuts on the desktop.
>
> I have right clicked and enabled the show desktop icons option. This has
> brought back the core icons (My computer etc. ) but I can't seem to be
able
> to restore the shortcuts that he had.
>
> System Restore points don't seem to help either
>
> Any ideas?
> Thanks

Anonymous
April 10, 2005 12:51:06 AM

Rearrange Icons didn't work, but the second suggestion got the key icons
back.

Thanks

!