Help:Desktop icons gone missing

Hi
I am trying to help a friend with an XP home system that has lost all of the
icons/shortcuts on the desktop.

I have right clicked and enabled the show desktop icons option. This has
brought back the core icons (My computer etc. ) but I can't seem to be able
to restore the shortcuts that he had.

System Restore points don't seem to help either

Any ideas?
Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about help desktop icons missing

    Long shot, but had the same issue today - chap had moved the icons off the
    screen! Only realised when we modified the 'arrange icons' by name; low and
    behold, they all reappeared.

    Alternatively, right click on Start, select Properties, select Taskbar. At
    bottom you will see Hide Inactive icons and a Customise button... deselect
    and see if it works.

    "NikkJ" wrote:

    > Hi
    > I am trying to help a friend with an XP home system that has lost all of the
    > icons/shortcuts on the desktop.
    >
    > I have right clicked and enabled the show desktop icons option. This has
    > brought back the core icons (My computer etc. ) but I can't seem to be able
    > to restore the shortcuts that he had.
    >
    > System Restore points don't seem to help either
    >
    > Any ideas?
    > Thanks

    Are you logged in with the same profile/Username? That might be it
    "NikkJ" <nikkjathome> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I am trying to help a friend with an XP home system that has lost all of
    the
    > icons/shortcuts on the desktop.
    >
    > I have right clicked and enabled the show desktop icons option. This has
    > brought back the core icons (My computer etc. ) but I can't seem to be
    able
    > to restore the shortcuts that he had.
    >
    > System Restore points don't seem to help either
    >
    > Any ideas?
    > Thanks

    Rearrange Icons didn't work, but the second suggestion got the key icons
    back.

    Thanks

    "Eddie 247" <Eddie247@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Long shot, but had the same issue today - chap had moved the icons off the
    > screen! Only realised when we modified the 'arrange icons' by name; low
    > and
    > behold, they all reappeared.
    >
    > Alternatively, right click on Start, select Properties, select Taskbar.
    > At
    > bottom you will see Hide Inactive icons and a Customise button... deselect
    > and see if it works.
    >

    > "NikkJ" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> I am trying to help a friend with an XP home system that has lost all of
    >> the
    >> icons/shortcuts on the desktop.
    >>
    >> I have right clicked and enabled the show desktop icons option. This has
    >> brought back the core icons (My computer etc. ) but I can't seem to be
    >> able
    >> to restore the shortcuts that he had.
    >>
    >> System Restore points don't seem to help either
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >> Thanks

Desktop Icons Icons Windows XP