Old main board;New AGP card

charly

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
Ok..I see that new mb and old agp might not work.. BUT what about an old mb and new agp? Provided it meets spec of mb?

I have an asus p2b w/pii 400. The mb has a 2x agp port. Now I'm trying to extend the use of my existing system until I can afford a new one. So I purchased an asus agp 7100 vid card which is 4x, 2x, 1x compatible. Do you think there will be a problem? Computer store tech says probably not. To make a long story short...I went thru (2) pci powercolor/ati vid cards in the last (2) days. For some reason after about 15min to 2 hrs I get verticle lines on the mon. Reboot will fix it but only for a short while. Computer store tech said that the ati card is probably not compatible w/ the old p2b mb.
My existing agp card is matrox 2x g400. It has never missed a beat but only has 16mb mem.
I haven't installed the new card yet thinking maybe my power supply is causing problems...
What do you think?
Sorry for long winded post!

charly

blackphoenix77

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
I think that if you really want to use that motherboard then it should ok, just make sure your settings agree in BIOS and with video card settings. But I think should upgrade...

My Rig:
AthlonXP 2000+ 1.677ghz
GeForce Verto FX5200 128mb DDR
Maxtor 7200RPM 80GB, Stock 40gb
Kingston 384MB DDR
Cendyne 52x24x52 CD-RW
Lite-On 4x DVD-RW
Go EMachines...:(

blackphoenix77

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
<<<<<<<<<<i can't believe i'm still a stranger :(

My Rig:
AthlonXP 2000+ 1.677ghz
GeForce Verto FX5200 128mb DDR
Maxtor 7200RPM 80GB, Stock 40gb
Kingston 384MB DDR
Cendyne 52x24x52 CD-RW
Lite-On 4x DVD-RW
Go EMachines...:(

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The only cards from ATI or nVidia that won't work are ATI's 9600 series. They simply aren't keyed for 3.3v operation, they won't even plug into the board.

You can consider any other cards fair game.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

charly

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
Afterdark..Initially I thought the pci unit would be cheaper than the harder to find 2x compat. agp card, but I was wrong. The powercolor ati 7000(pci) was 61 bucks and then after 2 of them quit working I found the asus 7100 (agp) for 42 bucks. Just plugged it in and so far so good.

piii_man...I'm guilty of using hacksaw, sledge hammer, cutting torch's to make it work :) At first with the ati card I was oc the pii 400 to 533 w/133 on the bus. But after the ati card started acting weird I knocked it back to stock but it didn't make a diff.

Question: should I install the GART driver? DOn't know what it is but sounds cool..remember I have antique asus p2b machine w/ bx chip set

Thanks
BTW this forum is THE place!!

charly

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The 7500 series performs well and should be good for most overclocks. My Radeon DDR (the card on which the 7500 was based) accepted AGP clocks as high as 100MHz!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>