Cannot open items from start menu or desktop

i am running XP professional and have never had this trouble before. I cannot
open any of the folders on my desktop or in my start menu. I get the
hourglass, the entire screen b.links black and comes back on and that's it.
When I run task manager, it says no applications are running. HELP!
1 answer Last reply
More about cannot open items start menu desktop

    Post copies of any Error Reports in Event Viewer which corresponds in
    time to an occurrence of the problem.

    Make an exact note of the precise text of any error message. Minor
    discrepancies can
    make it harder to search for information about the error message.

    You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, Administrative Tools,
    Event Viewer.
    When researching the meaning of the error, information regarding Event
    ID, Source
    and Description are important.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427&Product=winxp

    A tip for posting copies of Error Reports! Run Event Viewer and double
    click on the
    error you want to copy. In the window, which appears is a button
    resembling two
    pages. Double click the button and close Event Viewer. Now start your
    message
    (email) and do a paste into the body of the message. This will paste the
    info from the
    Event Viewer Error Report complete with links into the message. Make
    sure this is
    the first paste after exiting from Event Viewer.

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Using invalid email address

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please tell the newsgroup how any
    suggested solution worked for you.

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Alexis43" <Alexis43@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >i am running XP professional and have never had this trouble before. I
    >cannot
    > open any of the folders on my desktop or in my start menu. I get the
    > hourglass, the entire screen b.links black and comes back on and
    > that's it.
    > When I run task manager, it says no applications are running. HELP!

Start Menu Desktops Windows XP