hard drive problem

I have an old computer system from the early 90's. After removing all the
components and cleaning the dust off of all components, i booted up my
computer and it wasnt detecting the hard drive. I went into the BIOS and i
entered all the data reffering to the hard drive and I tried to format it. I
keep getting an error message that says " Hard Disk Controller Failure" Is
there anything i can do to fix this problem? Or do i need a new hard drive?
If i need a new hard drive, is it even possible to buy one anywhere
considering its a computer from the early 90's. ?
4 answers Last reply
More about hard drive problem

    I need a little more information. Is the drive adapter a plug-in card or
    built in the mother board?
    If it is a card, you could replace it. If it is on the mother board, you
    would be well advised to buy a new computer.
    If the drive is an IDE type, you could attach it to some other computer to
    test the drive and recover your information.
    Hugh

    "Tall_Guy" <TallGuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have an old computer system from the early 90's. After removing all the
    > components and cleaning the dust off of all components, i booted up my
    > computer and it wasnt detecting the hard drive. I went into the BIOS and i
    > entered all the data reffering to the hard drive and I tried to format it.
    > keep getting an error message that says " Hard Disk Controller Failure"
    > Is
    > there anything i can do to fix this problem? Or do i need a new hard
    > drive?
    > If i need a new hard drive, is it even possible to buy one anywhere
    > considering its a computer from the early 90's. ?

    Its a plug in card, but if i need to replace it, would that be difficult to
    do, seeing as it is a computer from the earliy 90's? and it ran windows 3.1?
    This isnt my real computer, just an old junker that i had way back when. I
    kind of just ripped it apart and cleaned it without documenting anything. It
    would be sweet if i could get it going thats all. Even if it belongs in a
    museum. Lol it even has the really OLD floppies, not the 3 1/2" but the 5
    1/4" anyway, if its not fixable, ill use it as my doorstop. Thanks Hugh.

    > Its a plug in card, but if i need to replace it, would that be difficult
    > do, seeing as it is a computer from the earliy 90's? and it ran windows
    > 3.1?
    > This isnt my real computer, just an old junker that i had way back when. I
    > kind of just ripped it apart and cleaned it without documenting anything.
    > It
    > would be sweet if i could get it going thats all. Even if it belongs in a
    > museum. Lol it even has the really OLD floppies, not the 3 1/2" but the 5
    > 1/4" anyway, if its not fixable, ill use it as my doorstop. Thanks Hugh.
    <snip>

    If it doesn't have a 3 1/2" drive in it at all, there's a good chance that
    the drive might not be IDE - check the drive to see if it says anything -
    or if it's labelled at all! If the drive is IDE, then you should be able to
    stuff it into a newer PC to check, as the Hugh suggested. If it's
    some oddball, like MFM or propriatory, then you could put the
    card (if it is ISA-based) into a newer PC (if it has an ISA slot) and
    connect up the drive.

    For getting parts for it, you need to have a look on eBay or any local
    2nd-hand shops to see if they might have a PC of the same vintage.
    If the drive turns out to be IDE, getting a controller card is still
    possible - you can still get them brand new!

    --
    Thingy.

    If its the controller on your motherboard you can just by a new controller
    card. They are backward compatible
    "Thingy" <strokie2003@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > "Tall_Guy" <TallGuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Its a plug in card, but if i need to replace it, would that be difficult
    > > do, seeing as it is a computer from the earliy 90's? and it ran windows
    > > 3.1?
    > > This isnt my real computer, just an old junker that i had way back when.
    > > kind of just ripped it apart and cleaned it without documenting
    anything.
    > > It
    > > would be sweet if i could get it going thats all. Even if it belongs in
    > > museum. Lol it even has the really OLD floppies, not the 3 1/2" but the
    5
    > > 1/4" anyway, if its not fixable, ill use it as my doorstop. Thanks Hugh.
    > <snip>
    >
    > If it doesn't have a 3 1/2" drive in it at all, there's a good chance that
    > the drive might not be IDE - check the drive to see if it says anything -
    > or if it's labelled at all! If the drive is IDE, then you should be able
    > stuff it into a newer PC to check, as the Hugh suggested. If it's
    > some oddball, like MFM or propriatory, then you could put the
    > card (if it is ISA-based) into a newer PC (if it has an ISA slot) and
    > connect up the drive.
    >
    > For getting parts for it, you need to have a look on eBay or any local
    > 2nd-hand shops to see if they might have a PC of the same vintage.
    > If the drive turns out to be IDE, getting a controller card is still
    > possible - you can still get them brand new!
    >
    > --
    > Thingy.

Computers Hard Drives Components Windows XP