Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

hard drive problem

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 1:53:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I have an old computer system from the early 90's. After removing all the
components and cleaning the dust off of all components, i booted up my
computer and it wasnt detecting the hard drive. I went into the BIOS and i
entered all the data reffering to the hard drive and I tried to format it. I
keep getting an error message that says " Hard Disk Controller Failure" Is
there anything i can do to fix this problem? Or do i need a new hard drive?
If i need a new hard drive, is it even possible to buy one anywhere
considering its a computer from the early 90's. ?

More about : hard drive problem

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 5:43:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I need a little more information. Is the drive adapter a plug-in card or
built in the mother board?
If it is a card, you could replace it. If it is on the mother board, you
would be well advised to buy a new computer.
If the drive is an IDE type, you could attach it to some other computer to
test the drive and recover your information.
Hugh

"Tall_Guy" <TallGuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1BA86F45-39A7-41DD-BF0D-9E554CC9E56F@microsoft.com...
>I have an old computer system from the early 90's. After removing all the
> components and cleaning the dust off of all components, i booted up my
> computer and it wasnt detecting the hard drive. I went into the BIOS and i
> entered all the data reffering to the hard drive and I tried to format it.
> I
> keep getting an error message that says " Hard Disk Controller Failure"
> Is
> there anything i can do to fix this problem? Or do i need a new hard
> drive?
> If i need a new hard drive, is it even possible to buy one anywhere
> considering its a computer from the early 90's. ?
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 5:43:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Its a plug in card, but if i need to replace it, would that be difficult to
do, seeing as it is a computer from the earliy 90's? and it ran windows 3.1?
This isnt my real computer, just an old junker that i had way back when. I
kind of just ripped it apart and cleaned it without documenting anything. It
would be sweet if i could get it going thats all. Even if it belongs in a
museum. Lol it even has the really OLD floppies, not the 3 1/2" but the 5
1/4" anyway, if its not fixable, ill use it as my doorstop. Thanks Hugh.

"Hugh N. Ross" wrote:

> I need a little more information. Is the drive adapter a plug-in card or
> built in the mother board?
> If it is a card, you could replace it. If it is on the mother board, you
> would be well advised to buy a new computer.
> If the drive is an IDE type, you could attach it to some other computer to
> test the drive and recover your information.
> Hugh
>
> "Tall_Guy" <TallGuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:1BA86F45-39A7-41DD-BF0D-9E554CC9E56F@microsoft.com...
> >I have an old computer system from the early 90's. After removing all the
> > components and cleaning the dust off of all components, i booted up my
> > computer and it wasnt detecting the hard drive. I went into the BIOS and i
> > entered all the data reffering to the hard drive and I tried to format it.
> > I
> > keep getting an error message that says " Hard Disk Controller Failure"
> > Is
> > there anything i can do to fix this problem? Or do i need a new hard
> > drive?
> > If i need a new hard drive, is it even possible to buy one anywhere
> > considering its a computer from the early 90's. ?
>
>
>
Related resources
April 6, 2005 11:11:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Tall_Guy" <TallGuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:9C38A5B9-B5D6-4F70-899C-5BD29D3D5309@microsoft.com...
> Its a plug in card, but if i need to replace it, would that be difficult
> to
> do, seeing as it is a computer from the earliy 90's? and it ran windows
> 3.1?
> This isnt my real computer, just an old junker that i had way back when. I
> kind of just ripped it apart and cleaned it without documenting anything.
> It
> would be sweet if i could get it going thats all. Even if it belongs in a
> museum. Lol it even has the really OLD floppies, not the 3 1/2" but the 5
> 1/4" anyway, if its not fixable, ill use it as my doorstop. Thanks Hugh.
<snip>

If it doesn't have a 3 1/2" drive in it at all, there's a good chance that
the drive might not be IDE - check the drive to see if it says anything -
or if it's labelled at all! If the drive is IDE, then you should be able to
stuff it into a newer PC to check, as the Hugh suggested. If it's
some oddball, like MFM or propriatory, then you could put the
card (if it is ISA-based) into a newer PC (if it has an ISA slot) and
connect up the drive.

For getting parts for it, you need to have a look on eBay or any local
2nd-hand shops to see if they might have a PC of the same vintage.
If the drive turns out to be IDE, getting a controller card is still
possible - you can still get them brand new!

--
Thingy.
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 7:50:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

If its the controller on your motherboard you can just by a new controller
card. They are backward compatible
"Thingy" <strokie2003@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:yvW4e.7753$JO6.5293@newsfe6-win.ntli.net...
> "Tall_Guy" <TallGuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:9C38A5B9-B5D6-4F70-899C-5BD29D3D5309@microsoft.com...
> > Its a plug in card, but if i need to replace it, would that be difficult
> > to
> > do, seeing as it is a computer from the earliy 90's? and it ran windows
> > 3.1?
> > This isnt my real computer, just an old junker that i had way back when.
I
> > kind of just ripped it apart and cleaned it without documenting
anything.
> > It
> > would be sweet if i could get it going thats all. Even if it belongs in
a
> > museum. Lol it even has the really OLD floppies, not the 3 1/2" but the
5
> > 1/4" anyway, if its not fixable, ill use it as my doorstop. Thanks Hugh.
> <snip>
>
> If it doesn't have a 3 1/2" drive in it at all, there's a good chance that
> the drive might not be IDE - check the drive to see if it says anything -
> or if it's labelled at all! If the drive is IDE, then you should be able
to
> stuff it into a newer PC to check, as the Hugh suggested. If it's
> some oddball, like MFM or propriatory, then you could put the
> card (if it is ISA-based) into a newer PC (if it has an ISA slot) and
> connect up the drive.
>
> For getting parts for it, you need to have a look on eBay or any local
> 2nd-hand shops to see if they might have a PC of the same vintage.
> If the drive turns out to be IDE, getting a controller card is still
> possible - you can still get them brand new!
>
> --
> Thingy.
>
>
!