how bad is dell...

Dell is coming to my backyard Winston Salem NC to build a new facility. Is
their quality that bad and customer service really rotten or do they build
some good computers....

ed in nc
29 answers Last reply
More about dell

    "ed" <ed@nothingman.com> wrote:

    >Dell is coming to my backyard Winston Salem NC to build a new facility. Is
    >their quality that bad and customer service really rotten or do they build
    >some good computers....

    That'll probably depend on your neighbors who get jobs there to
    assemble/test/ship them, doesn't it?

    Support has gone off-shore, so you Tarheels will probably never
    have to do that part of it.
    --
    OJ III

    I am not a brand loyal person so I own several different systems from
    several different manufacturers.

    One thing that I am painfully aware of is that the big names (Dell, Gateway,
    etc.) have decided that quality, customer service and customer satisfaction
    are no longer central to doing business.

    I currently own a Gateway (High End $3,000 System) that arrived with a dead
    integrated network card on December 22, 2004. I have yet to be able to
    return the computer and Gateway is asking for a $450 restocking fee if I do.

    Dell, in my experience, tends to have a more stable computer with minimal
    problems out of the box. If you do have a problem though plan on spending
    hours on the phone with foreign based tech support personnel.

    Anyway, just my two cents.

    - Robert

    In article <_%RKd.45846$dt3.4229961@twister.southeast.rr.com>,
    ed@nothingman.com says...

    > Dell is coming to my backyard Winston Salem NC to build a new facility. Is
    > their quality that bad and customer service really rotten or do they build
    > some good computers....

    It's greatly dependent on what you buy, and what era it came from.

    Example: From what I've read on this group, and what I've heard
    from others in the IT field, Dell's "consumer" grade systems and
    "support" are little better than Gateway.

    Their "business" tier systems, particularly the Latitude C and D
    series portables, seem to be a much different story. My own laptop, a
    Latitude C640, replaced an older Latitude CP-233XT that I had owned for
    at least five years.

    I never had any trouble with either one. The few times I did need
    to ask a question of the support folks, the response was quick and
    helpful, always provided by someone who was clearly a native of the U.S.
    and usually located at Round Rock, TX.

    My current Latitude is under Dell Gold warranty support until
    September of this year. It's an off-lease unit that I bought from a Dell
    reseller on Ebay. So far, it has proven to be a real workhorse. I will
    add that, when I did call the Gold Support line once, the person I got
    routed to was in the States. No India routing at all.

    Given this, it all seems to come down to "You get what you pay
    for." This is true in any field, especially that of computing. I'd love
    to own a Dolch or similar 'mil-spec' ruggedized portable, but I don't
    want to spend $3K and up for it.

    As to what Dell is putting up in your area -- Could be anything
    from a simple distribution center to a full-blown manufacturing plant.
    Keep an eye on it, and ask around.

    And, if you decide you want to buy a Dell, look at the high-end
    stuff first (the 'Professional Workstation' line for the desktop,
    Latitudes for the laptops).

    Keep the peace(es).

    kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
    with surreal ports?"

    It will probably be a bunch of non-English speaking people working there.
    Dell customer service is a pure joke. Their PCs have become very cheap in
    quality. Basically, you get what you pay for.

    "Robert" <rldearmond@adelphia.net> wrote:

    >Dell, in my experience, tends to have a more stable computer with minimal
    >problems out of the box. If you do have a problem though plan on spending
    >hours on the phone with foreign based tech support personnel.

    OTOH, my two calls handled by "foreign-based tech support
    personnel" took less than a half-hour total, hold time included,
    on either incident. And on the second one, the tech called back,
    as promised, to make sure the fix had taken, and everything was
    working right.
    --
    OJ III

    Jon Skidmore wrote:

    > It will probably be a bunch of non-English speaking people working there.
    > Dell customer service is a pure joke. Their PCs have become very cheap in
    > quality. Basically, you get what you pay for.

    I'd take Jon's comments with a grain of salt, as I would anyone
    that refers to other posters as "retards."

    Notan

    I didn't refer to all other posters as retards. Just the one who posted a
    stupid question!

    Jon Skidmore wrote:

    > I didn't refer to all other posters as retards. Just the one who posted a
    > stupid question!

    Call it personal, call it whatever. I really don't care.

    I find the term offensive.

    Notan

    In article <hMVKd.18594$zy6.2631@fe04.lga>, skidmon22@bellsouth.net
    says...

    < Top-posting corrected. Please don't top-post! See this link for
    the reason why: http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?toppost >

    > "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
    > > Jon Skidmore wrote:
    > >>
    > >> It will probably be a bunch of non-English speaking people working there.
    > >> Dell customer service is a pure joke. Their PCs have become very cheap in
    > >> quality. Basically, you get what you pay for.
    > >
    > > I'd take Jon's comments with a grain of salt, as I would anyone
    > > that refers to other posters as "retards."
    > >

    > I didn't refer to all other posters as retards. Just the one who posted a
    > stupid question!
    > Notan

    The only truly "stupid" question is the one that someone chooses
    never to ask.

    kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
    with surreal ports?"

    Boo Hoo Hoo you wussy!
    > Jon Skidmore wrote:
    >>
    >> I didn't refer to all other posters as retards. Just the one who posted a
    >> stupid question!
    >
    > Call it personal, call it whatever. I really don't care.
    >
    > I find the term offensive.
    >
    > Notan

    Are you just trolling? You keep making broad, unsubstantiated statements.

    We all know that all the major manufacturers consumer support has slipped.
    For a $500 machine, what do you expect?

    Tom
    "Jon Skidmore" <skidmon22@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > It will probably be a bunch of non-English speaking people working there.
    > Dell customer service is a pure joke. Their PCs have become very cheap in
    > quality. Basically, you get what you pay for.
    > "Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> "ed" <ed@nothingman.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Dell is coming to my backyard Winston Salem NC to build a new facility.
    >>>Is
    >>>their quality that bad and customer service really rotten or do they
    >>>build
    >>>some good computers....
    >>
    >> That'll probably depend on your neighbors who get jobs there to
    >> assemble/test/ship them, doesn't it?
    >>
    >> Support has gone off-shore, so you Tarheels will probably never
    >> have to do that part of it.
    >> --
    >> OJ III
    >> [Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
    >> Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]

    You really think people give a sh** about you wanting them not to top post?

    grow up
    "Dr. Anton T. Squeegee" <SpammersAreVermin@dev.null> wrote in message
    > In article <hMVKd.18594$zy6.2631@fe04.lga>, skidmon22@bellsouth.net
    > says...
    >
    > < Top-posting corrected. Please don't top-post! See this link for
    > the reason why: http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?toppost >
    >
    >> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message

    >> > I'd take Jon's comments with a grain of salt, as I would anyone
    >> > that refers to other posters as "retards."
    >> >

    >> I didn't refer to all other posters as retards. Just the one who posted a
    >> stupid question!
    >> Notan
    >
    > The only truly "stupid" question is the one that someone chooses
    > never to ask.
    >

    > --
    > Dr. Anton T. Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute.
    > (Known to some as Bruce Lane, ARS KC7GR,
    > kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
    > "If Salvador Dali had owned a computer, would it have been equipped
    > with surreal ports?"

    DELLBOT alert!
    > Are you just trolling? You keep making broad, unsubstantiated statements.
    >
    > We all know that all the major manufacturers consumer support has slipped.
    > For a $500 machine, what do you expect?
    >
    > Tom
    > "Jon Skidmore" <skidmon22@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >> It will probably be a bunch of non-English speaking people working there.
    >> Dell customer service is a pure joke. Their PCs have become very cheap in
    >> quality. Basically, you get what you pay for.
    >> "Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    >>> That'll probably depend on your neighbors who get jobs there to
    >>> assemble/test/ship them, doesn't it?
    >>>
    >>> Support has gone off-shore, so you Tarheels will probably never
    >>> have to do that part of it.
    >>> --
    >>> OJ III
    >>> [Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
    >>> Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]

    Because I speak the truth? Do you really believe HP or Gateway are better?

    What exactly are you contributing here?

    "RockBall" <nospamyoyo@aol.com> wrote in message
    > DELLBOT alert!
    >> Are you just trolling? You keep making broad, unsubstantiated
    >> statements.
    >>
    >> We all know that all the major manufacturers consumer support has
    >> slipped. For a $500 machine, what do you expect?
    >>
    >> Tom

    dell is fine. reliability, service etc....i have two dimension 4600's.
    they work as advertised and i get the support i need. no better or
    worse then any other brand.

    "Jon Skidmore" <skidmon22@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    : It will probably be a bunch of non-English speaking people working there.
    : Dell customer service is a pure joke. Their PCs have become very cheap in
    : quality. Basically, you get what you pay for.

    I told you so

    The Dellbots are SO predictable. You come out like roaches when anyone slams
    Dell. You do provide entertainment to the group.
    > Because I speak the truth? Do you really believe HP or Gateway are
    > better?
    >
    > What exactly are you contributing here?
    >

    > "RockBall" <nospamyoyo@aol.com> wrote in message
    >> DELLBOT alert!
    >> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
    >>> Are you just trolling? You keep making broad, unsubstantiated
    >>> statements.
    >>>
    >>> We all know that all the major manufacturers consumer support has
    >>> slipped. For a $500 machine, what do you expect?
    >>>
    >>> Tom

    Ah, different name, same game.

    Have fun trolling!
    > The Dellbots are SO predictable. You come out like roaches when anyone
    > slams Dell. You do provide entertainment to the group.
    >> Because I speak the truth? Do you really believe HP or Gateway are
    >> better?
    >>
    >> What exactly are you contributing here?
    >>

    >> "RockBall" <nospamyoyo@aol.com> wrote in message
    >>> DELLBOT alert!
    >>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message

    I simply enjoy laughing at you and the other Dellbots.

    RockBall wrote:

    > I simply enjoy laughing at you and the other Dellbots.

    Have you ever considered that contributors to this newsgroup
    enjoy laughing at YOU?

    Notan

    No I haven't retard.

    RockBall wrote:

    > No I haven't retard.

    I love it.

    Whenever the truly stupid don't have a good answer,
    out comes the word "retard."

    Notan

    The word best describes you. Maybe you are just mildly MR.
    > RockBall wrote:
    >>
    >> No I haven't retard.
    >
    > I love it.
    >
    > Whenever the truly stupid don't have a good answer,
    > out comes the word "retard."
    >
    > Notan

    most retards do! boohhoohahahahahah

    > Is there a reason you've been posting and impersonating multiple users?

    Two words: "no life".

    His dad told him when he was a kid: "Son, if you want something done
    right.......then get someone else because you're a big fat loser."

    Stew
  26. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Geez, is the circus in town? I had to do four plonks in this thread
    already.
    --
    Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
  27. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    yes and the idiot democrats are the main attraction at the freak show in the
    main tent.
    LOOOOOSSSSEEEEERRRRSSSSS!!!!!
    SORE WHINEY LOOOOOSEEEERRRS.
    Come hear the endless cranky crying of the little loser babies as they wet
    their pants at the drop of a hat.

    "Paul Knudsen" <HughG@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
    > Geez, is the circus in town? I had to do four plonks in this thread
    > already.
    > --
    > Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
    > http://www.democraticunderground.com/top10/
  28. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Make that five plonks.

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 00:09:16 -0500, "Monica Blowinsky"
    <ClintonsDepostory@ScrewballLefties.com> wrote:

    >yes and the idiot democrats are the main attraction at the freak show in the
    >main tent.
    >LOOOOOSSSSEEEEERRRRSSSSS!!!!!
    >SORE WHINEY LOOOOOSEEEERRRS.
    >Come hear the endless cranky crying of the little loser babies as they wet
    >their pants at the drop of a hat.
    >

    >"Paul Knudsen" <HughG@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
    >> Geez, is the circus in town? I had to do four plonks in this thread
    >> already.
    >> --
    >> Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
    >> http://www.democraticunderground.com/top10/

    --
    Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
  29. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    whip it out Nutsen and ill plonk your dinky little weeny just like i plonked
    your hero slick willy
    please dont mess my dress though or ill have to spank your whiny fat ass
    and then listen to you cry cry cry but that is what you are best at
    losing and whining and crying
    boohoohoo

    > Make that five plonks.
    >
    > On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 00:09:16 -0500, "Monica Blowinsky"
    > <ClintonsDepostory@ScrewballLefties.com> wrote:
    >
    > >yes and the idiot democrats are the main attraction at the freak show in
    the
    > >main tent.
    > >LOOOOOSSSSEEEEERRRRSSSSS!!!!!
    > >SORE WHINEY LOOOOOSEEEERRRS.
    > >Come hear the endless cranky crying of the little loser babies as they
    wet
    > >their pants at the drop of a hat.
    > >

    > >"Paul Knudsen" <HughG@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
    > >> Geez, is the circus in town? I had to do four plonks in this thread
    > >> already.
    > >> --
    > >> Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
    > >> http://www.democraticunderground.com/top10/