creating new files from the local menu on desktop gives er..

Dear all,

I've encountered a quite strange phenomenon:

whenever my user clicks on an empty spot on his Windows 2000 desktop and
then chooses New > Text Document, then he doesn't get a .txt-file, but a
..vhd-file. I checked his file associations and both .vhd and .txt are
associated with Notepad.

Which setting (in the registry???) determines, what extension a file gets,
once it is created using New > File Type?

Any help is most welcome.

Regards & Thanks,
Sandor Teglasy jun.
1 answer Last reply
More about creating files local menu desktop

    Sandor,

    Add or remove entries in the New objects list (ShellNew):
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/shellnew.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Sandor Teglasy" <tegsan@web.de> wrote in message
    > Dear all,
    >
    > I've encountered a quite strange phenomenon:
    >
    > whenever my user clicks on an empty spot on his Windows 2000 desktop and
    > then chooses New > Text Document, then he doesn't get a .txt-file, but a
    > .vhd-file. I checked his file associations and both .vhd and .txt are
    > associated with Notepad.
    >
    > Which setting (in the registry???) determines, what extension a file gets,
    > once it is created using New > File Type?
    >
    > Any help is most welcome.
    >
    > Regards & Thanks,
    > Sandor Teglasy jun.

Desktops Windows XP