creating new files from the local menu on desktop gives er..

April 6, 2005 11:49:30 PM

Dear all,

I've encountered a quite strange phenomenon:

whenever my user clicks on an empty spot on his Windows 2000 desktop and
then chooses New > Text Document, then he doesn't get a .txt-file, but a
..vhd-file. I checked his file associations and both .vhd and .txt are
associated with Notepad.

Which setting (in the registry???) determines, what extension a file gets,
once it is created using New > File Type?

Any help is most welcome.

Regards & Thanks,
Sandor Teglasy jun.
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 12:52:02 AM

Sandor,

Add or remove entries in the New objects list (ShellNew):
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/shellnew.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User