Best hard drive repair software?...

Having some errors on external hard drives and need a good software program
that can repair and get external drives in shape...any suggestions?

Frank
--
http://www.mediaartist.com/
"Media Artist Secrets"

    On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 18:15:02 GMT, "frank" <frankmcma@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >Having some errors on external hard drives and need a good software program
    >that can repair and get external drives in shape...any suggestions?

    http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

    John Thomas Smith
    http://www.direct2usales.com
    http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

    "frank" <frankmcma@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > Having some errors on external hard drives and need a good software
    > program that can repair and get external drives in shape...any
    > suggestions?

    Most decent hard disk repair software[1] will gost you about the same price
    as
    a new hard disk, so if this is for a home PC, it's not really worth it. The
    first thing you
    have to do is get as much of the data as possible off the hard disk you're
    having
    problems with - put it onto a different hard disk, not just a partition on
    the
    disk that is playing up. If you can get all the data off the drive, then
    open up a
    command window, and type in:
    chkdsk z: /f /r
    (where z: is the drive letter of the disk)
    If that's no good, *AND YOU HAVE ALL THE DATA COPIED OFF THE DRIVE*
    format the disk, but don't use a quick format, copy (not move) the data back
    to the drive and see if the problems happen again. If they do, then you
    will
    most likely need a new drive.

    I'm guessing this external drive is using USB or firewire. If that's the
    case there's
    a 99% chance it is simply an EIDE hard disk, which you can remove from the
    external case and simply replace the disk.
    If the drive is a standard one, and you've managed to get the data off it
    before it
    starts throwing errors, you could take the drive out of the external case,
    put it internally and use a drive diagnostic tool to see if that can detect
    anything
    unusual - most manufacturers have these tools available from their websites.

    I've got to also point out that before you do anything with that disk, you
    have got to
    see if you can copy the data off first, as some recovery programs can be a
    tad aggressive
    when trying to recover data - if the recovery program fails, then you could
    wind up
    with a dead disk and no data at all[2]. If that happens, I suggest you find
    a soft wall
    to bang your head against, because brick ones hurt. :-)

    [1] Thinking specifically Easy Recovery Pro, here.
    [2] Unless you want to spent insane amounts of money.

    --
    Thingy.

    Thingy,

    Good info thanks. I have two external Maxtor one touch 250GB firewire
    drives. Both have been working great but it seems as they are filling up I
    am getting more errors. The errors are fixed during XP boot up, but these
    fixes are randomly deleting and repairing bad sectors, so I am losing data.

    All the data on both drives I have duplicate copies on duplicate CDs (yes I
    am good!) so no need for recovery. Really I just want to somehow fix the
    drives, get software that can map out bad sectors so they are not used.
    Again the drives have been working great but it seems as they are getting
    more and more full I am having more errors pop up.

    Any suggestions are great..thanks

    Frank

    --

    SpinRite will check and fix drives - www.grc.com

> [...]
    >>
    >> --
    >> Thingy.

    "frank" <frankmcma@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > Thingy,
    >
    > Good info thanks. I have two external Maxtor one touch 250GB firewire
    > drives. Both have been working great but it seems as they are filling up I
    > am getting more errors. The errors are fixed during XP boot up, but these
    > fixes are randomly deleting and repairing bad sectors, so I am losing
    > data.
    >
    > All the data on both drives I have duplicate copies on duplicate CDs (yes
    > I am good!) so no need for recovery. Really I just want to somehow fix the
    > drives, get software that can map out bad sectors so they are not used.
    > Again the drives have been working great but it seems as they are getting
    > more and more full I am having more errors pop up.

    Just a quick question, in this newsgroup, is it usual to reply at the top
    of a message, as this is quite unusual?

    Anyway, well done on sorting out a backup - it's nice to see someone who
    knows that their data is valuable *and* has done something to keep it safe!
    I'd suggest having one last look around the disk to make sure you've
    got *all* the files backed up[1] then format it. Next run chkdsk with the
    /r
    switch. This *should* mark any of the unusable areas on the drive so
    data isn't written to it. However, bad sectors on IDE drives have a nasty
    habit of spreading, so until you stop getting errors on the drive, it's only
    worth using for data that wouldn't annoy you too much if you lost.

    [1] It's amazing how you can be sure of having a full backup and then
    remembering you changed a file just *after* wiping a drive.
    No I've never done this. Honestly...no really, I haven't.......
    ....Well, once. :-)

    --
    Thingy.

    <snip>
    > Good info thanks. I have two external Maxtor one touch 250GB firewire
    > drives.<snip>

    Sorry - forgot to mention, if you can get the drives out and mount them
    internally,
    Maxtor have diagnostic programs:
    http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.8db0c3d6932ced37294198b091346068/?channelpath=/en_us/Support/Software%20Downloads

    --
    Thingy.
    (OE will break this link, if you can't copy and paste it into your browser,

Software Hard Drives External Hard Drive Windows XP Product