indie coin op classic style game companies?

Archived from groups: comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.design,rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

does anyone know any good smaller or indie game companies that produce
small runs of classic-style coin op machines?

Archived from groups: comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.design,rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

"Mad Scientist Jr" <usenet_daughter@yahoo.com> wrote...
> does anyone know any good smaller or indie game companies that produce
> small runs of classic-style coin op machines?

Maybe there aren't any that do that exactly. What is it you're trying to
find out exactly (meaning: "why do you ask")? You can find lists of game
companies at gamasutra.com

Archived from groups: comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.design,rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

Thanks for your reply

Well, I am just about done with a game that is loads of fun to play,
but is rather low tech... It is about 1978, technology wise, but that
is part of the charm. In my opinion it's more fun than anything
current. It uses non-off-the-shelf controls and would probably earn
many quarters in a bar. I am probably just going to release it open
source with instructions on how to build the controls, but I would just
love to see it get into some public spaces. From a business
perspective, this game probably doesn't make sense from a "marketing"
point of view, so I have no hopes of Nintendo or even Atari putting it
out. However it would probably be a successful product for a small
indie type game company. I have even toyed with the idea of
manufacturing a machine or two myself - I have seen many sites where
people build fully working coin op game cabinets (for MAME etc) but
don't really have the carpentry skills or the patience to do that part
of it (I'm already thinking ahead to the next game!). So here I am
looking around to see if there's anyone I can work with to get some
machines made.

Archived from groups: comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.design,rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

It's very intresting. I have a same idea, but have not enouth time to
make it live. About marketing, i think that this kind of machines can
earn interest from peoples, who have country-side houses for private
parties or smth. It can be very fun i think )

Archived from groups: comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.design,rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

I do have a fully working version, with the controls and all. It's just
not something I can put in a bar, it's homemade and would be broken in
a few hours knowing how people torture arcade equipment...

Archived from groups: comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.design,rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

thanks man, will do

Archived from groups: comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.design,rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

Maybe this is more a "boutique" kind of project where you can just have
a couple prototypes made and see what happens

Archived from groups: comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.design,rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

In article <1125439980.878314.293760@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
usenet_daughter@yahoo.com says...
> Thanks for your reply
>
> Well, I am just about done with a game that is loads of fun to play,
> but is rather low tech... It is about 1978, technology wise, but that
> is part of the charm. In my opinion it's more fun than anything
> current. It uses non-off-the-shelf controls and would probably earn
> many quarters in a bar. I am probably just going to release it open
> source with instructions on how to build the controls, but I would just
> love to see it get into some public spaces. From a business
> perspective, this game probably doesn't make sense from a "marketing"
> point of view, so I have no hopes of Nintendo or even Atari putting it
> out. However it would probably be a successful product for a small
> indie type game company.

Sounds like a fun project, but the hardware element makes it difficult.

If you haven't actually played with the non-standard controls, though,
how can you say anything about whether it would probably be a success?
If it's fun with ordinary controls, you could release a software
version (with special control interface options for those who want to
build them, if you like).

You really do need to build a working version before you can comment on
this. (Incidentally, if the control system is very innovative and
could apply to other games, you should consider the possibility of
applying for a patent. Another reason to build a working model first!)

- Gerry Quinn