indie coin op classic style game companies?

Archived from groups: comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.design,rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

does anyone know any good smaller or indie game companies that produce
small runs of classic-style coin op machines?
7 answers Last reply
More about indie coin classic style game companies
  1. Archived from groups: comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.design,rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

    "Mad Scientist Jr" <usenet_daughter@yahoo.com> wrote...
    > does anyone know any good smaller or indie game companies that produce
    > small runs of classic-style coin op machines?

    Maybe there aren't any that do that exactly. What is it you're trying to
    find out exactly (meaning: "why do you ask")? You can find lists of game
    companies at gamasutra.com
  2. Archived from groups: comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.design,rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

    Thanks for your reply

    Well, I am just about done with a game that is loads of fun to play,
    but is rather low tech... It is about 1978, technology wise, but that
    is part of the charm. In my opinion it's more fun than anything
    current. It uses non-off-the-shelf controls and would probably earn
    many quarters in a bar. I am probably just going to release it open
    source with instructions on how to build the controls, but I would just
    love to see it get into some public spaces. From a business
    perspective, this game probably doesn't make sense from a "marketing"
    point of view, so I have no hopes of Nintendo or even Atari putting it
    out. However it would probably be a successful product for a small
    indie type game company. I have even toyed with the idea of
    manufacturing a machine or two myself - I have seen many sites where
    people build fully working coin op game cabinets (for MAME etc) but
    don't really have the carpentry skills or the patience to do that part
    of it (I'm already thinking ahead to the next game!). So here I am
    looking around to see if there's anyone I can work with to get some
    machines made.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.design,rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

    It's very intresting. I have a same idea, but have not enouth time to
    make it live. About marketing, i think that this kind of machines can
    earn interest from peoples, who have country-side houses for private
    parties or smth. It can be very fun i think )
  4. Archived from groups: comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.design,rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

    I do have a fully working version, with the controls and all. It's just
    not something I can put in a bar, it's homemade and would be broken in
    a few hours knowing how people torture arcade equipment...
  5. Archived from groups: comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.design,rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

    thanks man, will do
  6. Archived from groups: comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.design,rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

    Maybe this is more a "boutique" kind of project where you can just have
    a couple prototypes made and see what happens
  7. Archived from groups: comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.design,rec.games.video.arcade (More info?)

    In article <1125439980.878314.293760@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
    usenet_daughter@yahoo.com says...
    > Thanks for your reply
    >
    > Well, I am just about done with a game that is loads of fun to play,
    > but is rather low tech... It is about 1978, technology wise, but that
    > is part of the charm. In my opinion it's more fun than anything
    > current. It uses non-off-the-shelf controls and would probably earn
    > many quarters in a bar. I am probably just going to release it open
    > source with instructions on how to build the controls, but I would just
    > love to see it get into some public spaces. From a business
    > perspective, this game probably doesn't make sense from a "marketing"
    > point of view, so I have no hopes of Nintendo or even Atari putting it
    > out. However it would probably be a successful product for a small
    > indie type game company.

    Sounds like a fun project, but the hardware element makes it difficult.

    If you haven't actually played with the non-standard controls, though,
    how can you say anything about whether it would probably be a success?
    If it's fun with ordinary controls, you could release a software
    version (with special control interface options for those who want to
    build them, if you like).

    You really do need to build a working version before you can comment on
    this. (Incidentally, if the control system is very innovative and
    could apply to other games, you should consider the possibility of
    applying for a patent. Another reason to build a working model first!)

    - Gerry Quinn

Development Style Games Classic Video Games