Please help - several core programs failing, generic host ..

Hi there

The other day my computer starting giving the message 'Generic Host for
Win32 has encountered a problem and must close. We are sorry for any
inconvenience' at startup. Now, several of my core programs seem to be
having problems. For example, if I start Windows Media Player, I can play a
track but if I try to skip to the next track it will hang and then a similar
box will appear saying that 'Windows Media Player has encountered a problem
and must close...'.

When I clicked for more information it said:

Error signature
EventType : InPageError P1: c000009c P2: 000000003

It also generated an error log in my temporary files folder, and this is
what it says:

Server=watson.microsoft.com
UI LCID=1033
Flags=1672018
Brand=WINDOWS
TitleName=Windows Media Player
DigPidRegPath=HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId
ErrorText=If you were in the middle of something, the information you were
working on might be lost.
Stage1URL=
Stage1URL=/StageOne/Generic/InPageError/c000009c/00000003.htm
Stage2URL=
Stage2URL=/dw/GenericTwo.ASP?EventType=InPageError&P1=c000009c&P2=00000003
DataFiles=C:\DOCUME~1\STEVE~1.COM\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER8418.dir00\wmplayer.exe.mdmp|C:\DOCUME~1\STEVE~1.COM\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER8418.dir00\appcompat.txt
Heap=C:\DOCUME~1\STEVE~1.COM\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER8418.dir00\wmplayer.exe.hdmp
ErrorSubPath=Generic\InPageError\c000009c\00000003
DirectoryDelete=C:\DOCUME~1\STEVE~1.COM\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER8418.dir00

This happens with several other programs - Outlook, Nero etc., but oddly my
computer no longer gives the message about there being a generic host for
win32 problem.

I have run my virus scanner, it did find 9 infected files and deleted them
but it did not solve this problem. I have also run AdAware which removed
around 9 spy files but again did not solve the problem.

Please, I am at my wits end -- what can I do?!

Thank you in advance!!

Steve
1 answer Last reply
More about please core programs failing generic host

    "Steve Lawrence" wrote:

    > Hi there
    >
    > The other day my computer starting giving the message 'Generic Host for
    > Win32 has encountered a problem and must close. We are sorry for any
    > inconvenience' at startup. Now, several of my core programs seem to be
    > having problems. For example, if I start Windows Media Player, I can play a
    > track but if I try to skip to the next track it will hang and then a similar
    > box will appear saying that 'Windows Media Player has encountered a problem
    > and must close...'.
    >
    > When I clicked for more information it said:
    >
    > Error signature
    > EventType : InPageError P1: c000009c P2: 000000003
    >
    > It also generated an error log in my temporary files folder, and this is
    > what it says:
    >

    > Server=watson.microsoft.com
    > UI LCID=1033
    > Flags=1672018
    > Brand=WINDOWS
    > TitleName=Windows Media Player
    > DigPidRegPath=HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows
    > NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId
    > ErrorText=If you were in the middle of something, the information you were
    > working on might be lost.
    > Stage1URL=
    > Stage1URL=/StageOne/Generic/InPageError/c000009c/00000003.htm
    > Stage2URL=
    > Stage2URL=/dw/GenericTwo.ASP?EventType=InPageError&P1=c000009c&P2=00000003
    > DataFiles=C:\DOCUME~1\STEVE~1.COM\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER8418.dir00\wmplayer.exe.mdmp|C:\DOCUME~1\STEVE~1.COM\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER8418.dir00\appcompat.txt
    > Heap=C:\DOCUME~1\STEVE~1.COM\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER8418.dir00\wmplayer.exe.hdmp
    > ErrorSubPath=Generic\InPageError\c000009c\00000003
    > DirectoryDelete=C:\DOCUME~1\STEVE~1.COM\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER8418.dir00
    >

    > This happens with several other programs - Outlook, Nero etc., but oddly my
    > computer no longer gives the message about there being a generic host for
    > win32 problem.
    >
    > I have run my virus scanner, it did find 9 infected files and deleted them
    > but it did not solve this problem. I have also run AdAware which removed
    > around 9 spy files but again did not solve the problem.
    >
    > Please, I am at my wits end -- what can I do?!
    >
    > Thank you in advance!!
    >
    > Steve

    My first step would be to run the system file checker,
    http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
    If you have problems with the cd then be sure to read step #2
    If this doesn't help please post back.

    On another note:
    Marc's newsletter is well worth signing up for,you might give it a try.

Microsoft Windows XP