IE Restrictions? Tools / Internet Options / Error??

I am running Internet Explorer 6.0.29 Sp2. When I select Tools / Internet
Options -- I get an error message - " This operation has been cancelled due
to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system
administrator".

I am the only "User" on the system and when I go to Control Panel / User
Accounts -- I (the only account ) am identified as "Computer
Administrator".

How do I "un-restrict" the Internet Options function?

Thanks, Dick
5 answers Last reply
More about restrictions tools internet options error

    "Restrictions" error while opening Internet Options
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFAQ.htm#Restrictions

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:fPX4e.529916$w62.339093@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net,
    Dick Harrison <RLHar@att.net> hunted and pecked:
    > I am running Internet Explorer 6.0.29 Sp2. When I select Tools / Internet
    > Options -- I get an error message - " This operation has been cancelled
    > due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your
    > system administrator".
    >
    > I am the only "User" on the system and when I go to Control Panel / User
    > Accounts -- I (the only account ) am identified as "Computer
    > Administrator".
    >
    > How do I "un-restrict" the Internet Options function?
    >
    > Thanks, Dick

    Wes, the Ctl Panel / Internet Options work around works great.

    I am not technically competent enough to try to correct via the
    "NoBrowserOptions" registry key modification -- I would probably lose my
    entire system.

    I am running Spybot S&D ( I think there was an update to this in the last
    day or two). I do not understand how to "disable" it and if it is disabled
    with the function work for IE? Is this another "work around" ie - disable
    S&D and then enable it?

    Did I do something to mess up the NoBrowserOptions or ???

    I would like to fix it permanently -- suggestions?

    Thanks, Dick
    > "Restrictions" error while opening Internet Options
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFAQ.htm#Restrictions
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:fPX4e.529916$w62.339093@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net,
    > Dick Harrison <RLHar@att.net> hunted and pecked:
    >> I am running Internet Explorer 6.0.29 Sp2. When I select Tools /
    >> Internet
    >> Options -- I get an error message - " This operation has been cancelled
    >> due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your
    >> system administrator".
    >>
    >> I am the only "User" on the system and when I go to Control Panel / User
    >> Accounts -- I (the only account ) am identified as "Computer
    >> Administrator".
    >>
    >> How do I "un-restrict" the Internet Options function?
    >>
    >> Thanks, Dick

    Have a look here..
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/24.html

    "Dick Harrison" <RLHar@att.net> wrote in message
    | Wes, the Ctl Panel / Internet Options work around works great.
    |
    | I am not technically competent enough to try to correct via the
    | "NoBrowserOptions" registry key modification -- I would probably
    lose my
    | entire system.
    |
    | I am running Spybot S&D ( I think there was an update to this in the
    last
    | day or two). I do not understand how to "disable" it and if it is
    disabled
    | with the function work for IE? Is this another "work around" ie -
    disable
    | S&D and then enable it?
    |
    | Did I do something to mess up the NoBrowserOptions or ???
    |
    | I would like to fix it permanently -- suggestions?
    |
    | Thanks, Dick
    | "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message
    | > "Restrictions" error while opening Internet Options
    | > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFAQ.htm#Restrictions
    | >
    | > --
    | > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    | >
    | > Wes
    | > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    | >
    | > In
    | > Dick Harrison <RLHar@att.net> hunted and pecked:
    | >> I am running Internet Explorer 6.0.29 Sp2. When I select Tools /
    | >> Internet
    | >> Options -- I get an error message - " This operation has been
    cancelled
    | >> due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact
    your
    | >> system administrator".
    | >>
    | >> I am the only "User" on the system and when I go to Control Panel
    / User
    | >> Accounts -- I (the only account ) am identified as "Computer
    | >> Administrator".
    | >>
    | >> How do I "un-restrict" the Internet Options function?
    | >>
    | >> Thanks, Dick

    Ricky, -- I had the setting in IE Tweaks selected -- unselecting correct
    the problem.

    Thanks, Dick

    "Ricky" <rsjoiner@no_spambellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > Have a look here..
    > http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/24.html
    >
    > "Dick Harrison" <RLHar@att.net> wrote in message
    > | Wes, the Ctl Panel / Internet Options work around works great.
    > |
    > | I am not technically competent enough to try to correct via the
    > | "NoBrowserOptions" registry key modification -- I would probably
    > lose my
    > | entire system.
    > |
    > | I am running Spybot S&D ( I think there was an update to this in the
    > last
    > | day or two). I do not understand how to "disable" it and if it is
    > disabled
    > | with the function work for IE? Is this another "work around" ie -
    > disable
    > | S&D and then enable it?
    > |
    > | Did I do something to mess up the NoBrowserOptions or ???
    > |
    > | I would like to fix it permanently -- suggestions?
    > |
    > | Thanks, Dick
    > | "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > | > "Restrictions" error while opening Internet Options
    > | > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFAQ.htm#Restrictions
    > | >
    > | > --
    > | > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > | >
    > | > Wes
    > | > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > | >
    > | > In
    > | > Dick Harrison <RLHar@att.net> hunted and pecked:
    > cancelled
    > your

    > / User

    You're welcome..glad it helped. :-)

    | Ricky, -- I had the setting in IE Tweaks selected -- unselecting
    correct
    | the problem.
    |
    | Thanks, Dick
    |

    | "Ricky" <rsjoiner@no_spambellsouth.net> wrote in message
    | > Have a look here..
    | > http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/24.html
    | >
    | > "Dick Harrison" <RLHar@att.net> wrote in message
    | > | Wes, the Ctl Panel / Internet Options work around works great.
    | > |
    | > | I am not technically competent enough to try to correct via the
    | > | "NoBrowserOptions" registry key modification -- I would probably
    | > lose my
    | > | entire system.
    | > |
    | > | I am running Spybot S&D ( I think there was an update to this in
    the
    | > last
    | > | day or two). I do not understand how to "disable" it and if it
    is
    | > disabled
    | > | with the function work for IE? Is this another "work around"
    ie -
    | > disable
    | > | S&D and then enable it?
    | > |
    | > | Did I do something to mess up the NoBrowserOptions or ???
    | > |
    | > | I would like to fix it permanently -- suggestions?
    | > |
    | > | Thanks, Dick
    | > | "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message

    Tools /