Documents and Settings woes

Due to a motherboard burnout on my laptop I had to remove its hard drive
and copy its files to a backup external hard drive. I didn't include the
Windows folder in the files. What the copying process would not allow is
the the copying of the folder within Documents and Settings with my name on
it. I was told that the file was locked or that the hard drive was full.
Any suggestions as to how I can copy that subfolder?

Thanks,
John

John Collins wrote:
> Due to a motherboard burnout on my laptop I had to remove its hard
drive
> and copy its files to a backup external hard drive. I didn't include
the
> Windows folder in the files. What the copying process would not allow
is
> the the copying of the folder within Documents and Settings with my
name on
> it. I was told that the file was locked or that the hard drive was
full.
> Any suggestions as to how I can copy that subfolder?
>
> Thanks,
> John

You haven't said what drive you're booting from. i'm no expert in win
xp's private folder or on NTFS attributes, but - failing to find a
direct solution - I would work around it.

it's probably an ntfs thing or maybe you booted from the drive and a
process locked the folder somehow. But I would just work around it.
When you copy files from the laptop drive, do not boot off of it, but
connect the laptop HDD up to a desktop as a secondary HDD. If you
still have problems(maybe private folders still can't be viewed ), then
- an aweful workaround would be to use partition magic to convert the
laptop HDD to FAT32.

I'm sure there's a more direct solution though. Consider this advice as
a last resort (no risk but a bit of a hassle when a more direct
solution probably exists).

Laptop HDDs are 2.5" IDE not 3.5" like desktop HDDs.
You'll need a cheap kit with a 2.5"-3.5" IDE Cable and an adaptor
thingy to power up the laptop HDD.

An alternative is to get a USB-IDE(3.5") adaptor and a 2.5-3.5 adaptor.
And plug the laptop HDD(2.5") into your USB port. So laptop HDD goes
into 2.5-3.5 adaptor into USB-IDE(3.5") adaptor, into USB port.

I hope somebody posts a better solution!!!

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You need to check out "take ownership" in the Help & Support. You should be
able to take ownership of the folders within your login name and this will
allow you to copy them.

Neil
"John Collins" <johncoll6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Due to a motherboard burnout on my laptop I had to remove its hard drive
> and copy its files to a backup external hard drive. I didn't include the
> Windows folder in the files. What the copying process would not allow is
> the the copying of the folder within Documents and Settings with my name
> on
> it. I was told that the file was locked or that the hard drive was full.
> Any suggestions as to how I can copy that subfolder?
>
> Thanks,
> John

James and Neil,
Thanks for your suggestions. The folder is still locked. An interesting
thing that I noticed is that there is no "+" sign to the left of the
problematic folder suggesting that there are no subdirectories. This can't
be the case, so who knows what is going on.

John

how are you copying the files from the laptop hard drive to the backup
drive? -- since you don't have the laptop anymore to boot off that
drive?!